1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New city-rig setup

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eddie B, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I was amazed at how much time we saved yesterday by eliminating the trailer during the city route... easier to load and unload, easier to drive on the city streets. And really, this is all the equipment we need for that route.
  2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I know what you are saying...especially in city's where parking is an issue. Try finding 2-3 spaces open in a row and parallel parking w/a trailer...LOL!!

However, just b/c it is easier does not make it safer...One slip on those ramps (for those wet misty mornings) you could have a 500# mower headed towards you at a good clip. Be carefull...
  3. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

I suppose you could staple on some expanded steel mesh to give you sure footing.
  4. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

Do whatever works... We bag 95% of the time and we need the truck box to hold the bags of grass. But, if it works do it.

Only problem I could see is if someone asked you for a one time cut while you were in the city and you needed additional tools and/or trailer, so now you'd have to make two trips... just my thoughts
  5. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

What size WB is that, and how long is your bed? I am thinking of doing the same thing with a 32" WB, but I am concerned about fitting everything in my truck bed.
  6. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Add a sulky on that WB would be nice and convenient. I used to have same style setup 2 1/2 years ago, it is okay but not safe especially that pia ramps for WB. I understand parking and storage problem, it is getting insanely expensive down here for keeping your equipment and trailer in storage co. I don't have big trailer so my garage help me save profit. You have to do whatever benefits you most.
  7. Gizmo_019

Gizmo_019 LawnSite Member

I agree with those. My trailer is a tilting 4'x8', with an expanded metal floor. Early in the mornings my Crapsman won't pull the angle with dew on the trailer, tires start spinning and I never get far enough up on it to make it fall down so then I slide to the bottom.

I got smart the other day and grabbed some big truck mudflaps and put them on the tail of the trailer to where the tires wouldn't slip until about 2' up on it, and that was enough to make it far enough on the trailer to make it come down. Just a tip.
  8. green-go

green-go LawnSite Member

Just the other day I did this, loaded my 36 into the bed of my truck using steel ramps. I did it for an account that doesn't have parking near it with a trailer so I have to park a ways away when I have my trailer.

That was the first and the LAST time I do that, using ramps to load and unload a WB into a truck bed is awkward and simply not safe at all. And it was not quicker for me, it actually was much less efficient having to take the trimmer, blower, ramps, set up the ramps, etc. Before I could even unload the mower.

If it works for you, great. Just be very careful, it's unsafe. Besides the possibility of the ramps coming off, there's the chance of driving the wheels off the ramp, having the mower roll back too fast and roll onto you, etc. I only loaded and unloaded a few times yesterday and one time one of the ramps was within 1/2" of coming off of the gate.
  9. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, it could be unsafe with certain pieces of equipment and without precautions. I used ramps on my full-size truck for over two years without incident. I facilitated straps to ensure they stayed put. To eliminate the need to unload everything to get to the mower, I fabricated a "shelf" system (inside the sideboards) at the front of the bed to stage blowers, gas cans, etc. The ramps themselves were secured to the outside of the wooden sideboards via store-bought hooks and a bungee.

I will say that you WILL destroy your tailgate by using this method.
  10. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Bear Delaware is a city? Ha!
    Looks like suburbs to me from the pic.