1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New client makes me feel like a scrub

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Mar 29, 2005.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Last week I looked at a yard next to my dads house that the guy that was doing it had not shown up in months. I did not get a real good feeling from the lady. She was not rude but my gut instinct kept saying warning!warning!. She constantly bragged on the other guy about how great he was. I met him one time and he was a nice fellow and his work was good. I spent 3.5 hours on the yard today, had to go over it twice with the mulcher and twice to vacum. Had to haul the straw to the back yard and put in flower bed. My catcher was filling up every 20 seconds it was so bad. I did not have my edger with me so I edged all the way down the curb with my weedeater. I was not sure if the other guy even edged or not. The yard looked good when I finished, or so I thought. The lady came out and started bit$$ing right away. Said the other guy edged everything, including the 60 round stepping stones in the front yard that I weedeated around. Also there was a 20 x 20 dog pen that was full of weeds that she did not say a thing about last week when I looked at it. The other guy she said was doing it for 45 ( I believe he told me 65 when I met him).He also done her next door neighbors yard which I was trying to get. She griped so bad that I only charged her 100 bucks for what I had done and felt bad about it. I was going to charge more. She also told me that her other guy had called back Saturday and apologized for not getting back with her. She told him she had someone else and was going to give me a try first. I told her "in other words you want premium lawn care for low prices"? She did not think 45 was low. I dont know if I can do all she wants for 45 bucks. The dog pen will have to be done with a weedeater since it only has a 22 inch gate.I told her I would let her out if she wanted to use the other guy and she said no not yet. Im going to give you a try. I called her back when I got home and told her I was coming back tommorow and cutting the dog pen and edging the whole dang thing, no one is better than me! I may be stupid for doing it but it really made me feel like a amateur. The other guy also raked the whole front yard and piled the straw around the trees and it really looked good to her. I told her I was NOT raking a yard for 45 bucks when I had equipment not to have to. When I get finished with this yard tommorow I will have averaged about 20 bucks a hour or less. The next time it will not take me near as long but Im already discouraged with her and its only the first time. Would you drop her now or try a few more and see how it goes. I really dont think Im going to be able to please her. No one has ever criticized my work before, not ever one complaint.This is a area I have been trying to get in, used to do the whole neighborhood when I was a kid but that was 35 years ago.
  2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Ask her why she thinks the lawn guy is not back this year. Let reality set in for her.
  3. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

She sounds like trouble. You have got to trust your gut on these ones. I am doubting her other guy even called her back, otherwise she probably would have taken the out you offered her. Use your best judgement, but if she is still not satisfied after your next visit, kindly let her go. Customers like that always turn into deadbeat non-payers in my experience.

4. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Ditto!! Get rid of this PITA ASAP!
  5. QualityLawnCare4u

Im going back tommorow and make the dang thing look perfect (even though I thought it was today). I, too, wondered why she did not take the other guy back if he was that great. She also has a crap load of huge azaleas she wants cut back when they quit blooming. It would take me and another person 2 days to do all of them and i really dont want to do it. Im trying to faze out shrubs this year because no one wants to pay anything to have them done. She also told me when I walked away to leave that I was going to have a tough act to live up to to be as good as her other guy.
  6. QualityLawnCare4u

While I was typing this last reply a lady calls and leaves message wanting her yard done. Was one of the wishy washy ones that i done it several times last year, her grandson is supose to start doing it and then she calls back and says he has not done it ,no wait, he is going to start coming every 2 weeks, now her yard looks like a weed jungle. Not even going to return call. Ahhh, its that time of the year again, all the PITA, weirdos, deatbeats, skinflints are all coming out of the wood work!
  7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

We run into these type all the time .... best option is to charge according .... I never firer or quit a job .... I just up the price to compensate for the pita factor
  8. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

Nobody wants to be the lawn guys friend going into winter, but man a livin all the cheapos are the first to be your friend in the spring. lol
  9. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Let me get this straight. You spent 3.5 hours for $65 --- and your going back to do more? HEELLLOOOOO.
  10. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

If she didn't keep putting her "other guy" on a podium and saying he is so great, i would have given her a few weeks but I say drop the b****h like 3 period math.