New clients who have dogs and have to be home...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr. Magpie, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

What have you guys done in the past about new clients who want your service but swear that they have to be home when you come to put the dogs in?

This is difficult for two reasons:
    1) Coordinating your schedule with theirs is almost always impossible.
    2) Even if you can coordinate, what if you are off by a day or so, or want to get done a day early?

Also, there is the problem of them forgetting to put the dogs in and going to work and such...... or if they are home, taking a while to put the dogs in WHILE YOU WAIT. What the hell do you guys do!? This sure is a tough one that I have not been able to figure a solution for.......
  2. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

We gave them a day to have the dogs at their other home but yes it is rather ridiculous to have to come up with that arrangement.
  3. BigChaz

BigChaz LawnSite Member

Unless they are like attack dogs i just go ahead and mow anyway. The dogs are scared of hte mowers and wackers so usually just follow at like 15 foot distance.

And when ive been mowing it long enough the dogs are practically best friends
  4. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

charge accordingly. We get about 500 a cut for a place that takes 3 of us 3 hours. But we have big restrictions and demands
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Careful if while wacking or mowing you throw something and the dog gets hurt, its gonna be your fault, i know that a dogs operations aren't cheap. Good luck, hope you find a solution soon!
  6. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

simple, if the've gotta be there, or have to coordinate every mow around their schedule then they would not be a new customer.Do you have to be home when your mailman comes by?
  7. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

Some people insist that you NOT mow when their dogs are there. Then I insist that I cannot do their lawn. It is usually that simple, I see no other way.
  8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I would not take them on.........sounds like a huge hassle.

9. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

I don't do dog yards. When I did, I had to spend time walking around with a flat shovel cleaning up first and then I would still end up stepping in one or the mower would run a wheel through one that I missed. :angry: Then I've got that stink with me until I can get it cleaned off. It's bad enough that there may be a stray on in the front yard from a passing animal.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Nope,...not doin' it. Last one I did like that ended up in tragedy. I STILL feel horrible over the incident.