New Clients

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by M and S Lawn Care, Aug 27, 2006.

1. M and S Lawn Care

M and S Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Hello all. Time to share some secrets.. haha.

So, whats the trick to getting a lot of new lawn care clients. I'm reading about guys getting 25 or 30 their first year in the business, and want to know the key. My partner and I are really trying hard to grow our business and to do that, we need lawns. I definately dont want to go around doing cheap work, so that's out of the question. Flyers? Yellow Pages? Newspapers? door-to-door? If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to hear what you got up you sleeves. Thanks all!

-Mike

2. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

Get out there and start doing the work, at this point you have to take what you can get. It sounds like you have no business plan. This type of work just doesn't happen you have to make it happen. by your signature you have all the equipment you need. so get out there and start working. YOU MUST HAVE A PLAN!!! What is your plan???? Without a plan you have nothing.:cool2:

3. Gemini1971

Gemini1971 LawnSite Member

Frosty is right.. You don't want to invest in fishing equipment only to get to the lake without bait.. :) You need an aggressive marketing plan to get customers and it should have been part of a business plan when you got started in the first place. Regardless of how you decide to advertise you must be consistent for results to come. The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary..

4. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I think the fastest way to get mowing accounts is fliers. If I put out 500 fliers, I usually pick up about 5 full time customers, but every area is different. I have 1,000 fliers sitting in a closet because I get too busy with finals, new customers, mulching, etc. and can never get all of my fliers out in the spring, happens every year to me. I really think that if you just dedicated your time to putting out ALOT of fliers that you would get all the biz you could handle.

5. mak2

mak2 LawnSite Senior Member

Flyers and word of mouth. Just do a good job. I have long since took the signs off my truck and stopped fliers, too busy.

6. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Your best bet would be to call your exisiting customers and ask them if they have any additional work they would conisder you for. Second go door to door asking they have any work they would allow you to do. If the answer is no then leave your business card with them. Lastly and this works to no end. As you are on your route, look for tall grass get out and knock on door. Let them know you are in the area today and would like to mow there lawn today for x amount. You will be amazed at how many one time cut you can do. If they are not home leave them something letting them know you will cut there lawn 1 time for x amount.

7. M and S Lawn Care

M and S Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

um.. what should be in my "business plan" ? By the way,most 10 year olds dont have business plans, so dont be mad at me for not having one when i started. I think i've done pretty well, seeing as how I'm 16, mow 25 lawns, have all the equipment i need, and fill up the rest of my time doing other landscape/maintenance jobs for clients. All I was asking was for advice on picking up new clients, and good ways to do so. Maybe then, after I have some ideas, i could make a good business plan.

8. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

I'm big on do-it-yourself books. One really good book you should read is "Start & Run A Landscaping Business" by Joel LaRusic. It's a well written book filled with good info for the guy just starting out. I plan on reading it again this winter just to pick up some info I might have missed. It's the best $20 you'll spend and tax deductable to boot.

9. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

He would be very proud of you, if you done all this in six years than I think you have more insite than most on this sight. I just can see how you drove yourself around when you was only Ten, however it takes all kinds in this business. If I was your dad I would be very proud of you making a good business like you have. Pat yourself on your back. You might go far if you come clean when you post!!!!! I have seen a lot of people come in go in just in:clapping: :cool2: :laugh: :laugh: the last three years I have been doing this business, hopefully you will stay around cause I always need a good hard laugh!!!!

10. 6ofus

6ofus LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I have been in this business for 4 years, and i read alot of the post that are on here when i got in this business I did alot of the similar things everyone else is doing but I think the key is who you know i know alot of people in my area but the main person who helped me out was a Realtor who is pretty successful he told me to go to all realastate companines in the area and put brochure's in there mailbox and each office was around 75 Realtors. there for i went and distributed around 500 brochure's, in about 2 hours. here is the key the agent goes to people's homes to list there house and when they pull up to he house if it needs work don they will refer you. we currently do all of the Realtors clients at one local office and i have received a total of 40 new customers in the first 6 months in the business.