new clutch?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by fga, Dec 9, 2003.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

how ya doing? I've been driving my truck recently which is stick. I can drive stick, but this is a truck I just bought(1000 posts and counting). It runs excellent w/ heat.......even the radio A+. But how do you know if it needs a clutch, or if your just not used to the truck yet? 1 & 2 gear bounce the truck when clutch pedal is slightly being released, but excellent once moving. Do any of you guys start in 2 gear as the norm? What does a clutch job like this cost? Thanks
  2. LeoS818

LeoS818 LawnSite Member

Frist gear in some heavy duty trans are not suppose to be used as a driving gear. What kind of a truck is it?
  3. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

Its a 84 dodge d30 dumptruck. When I ease off the clutch in first gear, the jumps really roughly. When I'm backing into my driveway it looks really dramatic!!
  4. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

First off you need to check the "freeplay" of the clutch pedal. You shoul dhave 1 to 1.5 inches of freeplay at the top of the pedal. Freeplay is the travel in the pedal before any resistance is felt other than spring pressure. The clutch should begin to grab approx 1 to 2 inches off the floor when fully depressed. If you have no freeplay and the clutch does not begin to engage until near the top of the pedals travel , then you need to adjust the clutch. Consult the repair manual on this. If its adjusted all the way and proper freeplay cannot be achieved or if the clutch slips or shudders, then you may need a new clutch.