NEW COLLECTION TACTIC, worked like a charm

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Dec 15, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i forgot who it was, but they posted on here, that they tell the deadbeat client, "i have you on tape, and will submit it as evidence....". so, here is the scenerio: picked up a client towards the end of the season. client requested lawn cutting. $45 a pop is what i charged. cut it once, nobody home to pay me.i didn't like it. i called, said i'm comming on thursday, please leave me check for 2 cuts. i get there, i see an envelope on the door with my name on it. so i cut the grass. i open it expecting to find a check, and there was a note, no check" please trim the bushes, spray the weeds, and continue weekly cutting, just bill me what i owe you. SORRY GUYS, GOTTA RUN, I'LL FINISH LATER

2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

cant wait for this one bobby!:D

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I like how he always stops his story, just when its getting good!

4. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

It could happen.

5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

For the moderators or who ever can help me, Is there a way to just have an open subscription to all of Bobby G's posts.

6. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anybody personally know bobby? Does he really cut grass or does he just write novels? Always lets the story stew and build. Just like a suspense writer, might be he could get a job writing for Law & Dis-order:D Maybe he's not really a he after all, might be that old bat from Murder She Wrote.:D

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I know Sir Robert pretty good...btw, he is a piece of work.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

SORRY GUYS, didn't do that on purpose, had to run, we were writing letters to santa for the kids. anyhow, sorry to keep u hangin, this aint a great funny story, but it is a tip i picked up from a guy on here for collecting. ok, like i was sayin, customer asked for additional work, and did not pay the bill. i was very skepticle, and decided that $90 bucks was enough to stop service on a new client who i never met, and didn't have a contract with. so, i knock on the door (2 cars in driveway) no one answeres. ok, great, another rat b@stard who thinks they don't have to pay the lawn guy. i call that afternoon, get answering machine, leave messege to call me. no call back. i do this again the following day, and evening again, they don't call back. next day i leave messege explaining how , if we are going to do business, we need to work out a payment arrangement, we are a small company, it's towards the end of season...blah blah blah. still, no return phone call. i send a bill.after 2 weeks, the guy calls,leaves messege on my machine, "hi, hey, where have you guys been? my lawn needs cutting. i know i owe you money, come get your money, and cut my grass. i go over, 2 cars in driveway, lights on in house, they won't answer the door. ok, i get it, the old "chase your money trick", this is where they hold your money hostage, to sucker you into doing more service, aint happening. i leave. i begin calling him every day. early morning, late at night, constantly. they wont answer phone, they wont return the call. i drive by a few times, hoping to see them outside. i couldn't catch them. finally, i say ok, i'm going over on thanksgiving day. and i do. lights on, several cars there. i knock, and knock, and bang on the door, the rat won't answer. i start yelling, "excuse me...HELLOOOOO, " they wont come to the door. so, the other day i call, and leave this messege, "mr. so n so, this is bob, u know, that azzhole that cut your lawn...here is the situation, i've sent you bills, i've come to your house, and i know your'e there, u wont answer the door, or return my calls. you owe me $95.40, if i don't hear from you , this is the procedure: i will go to the police station, and file a complaint, as evidence, i have the messege you left me on my machine, stating you owe me money. the judge will rule in my favor, and add late fees and penalties, and collection fees. then, the judge will impose criminal charges for theft of service. if u have a record, this could land you in jail, if not, it will cost you a nice fine, and go on your record. sir, i do this all the time, we havn't lost a case yet. i'm sorry it had to come to this. i need to hear from you by the end of the day, or we will begin proccedings." THREE MINUTES LATER, ring, ring, "hi, bob, this is mr. so n so, i'm very sorry , but this is a misunderstanding, i lost your phone number, and address, i didn't know where to send the check. i'll mail it right now, where do i send it?". so i say, "ummm, no, i'll be by to pick it up." and i hang up. when i get there, the check is taped to the door. i open it, it's all there. i knock, he wont answer.... somebody gave me the idea here of saying that u save voice messeges for one year, i think the saving of the messege, as evidence, is what scared this guy into paying.

9. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Very good Bobby. This does not seem like you, you must be in the holiday spirit. Sounds like it would work in most cases to.

10. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

very good idea. i'll remember to keep all mesages unti i collect.