new comer entry fee

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by 321birdguy, Aug 30, 2014.

1. 321birdguy

321birdguy LawnSite Senior Member

i just lost a bid the outer guy was 5$ cheeper than me yard was a mess kids toys every ware trash piles dog tyout ... it is not the type of yard i would like to mow the lower guy bid it at 25$ i was in at 30$
    he ors not have liability insurance i do have it
    i just started my business this spring have ben wanting to start for a long time years
    i wish there was some kind of entry fee like required to have liability insurance
    i see a few people who go to there local home store but a homeowner mower and try and find grass to mow i know those mowers won't last and they lack greece fittings...hec some put the mower in the back of there truck that looks like it ben to ww2 and back i have a decent looking truck a 2012 and all most every outer trade requires a license i do electric work for a living grass on the side would like to do grass full time some stater require a journeyman license to be able to work fore someone else dowing electric wh isn't there any kind of license to mow grass? and a test to be able to mow for money? like some basic dot laws, osha laws, common scents stuff and recognizing hazards and avoiding them and a little about mowing grass like when to cut why cut it at a certain height, why not to blow grass in storm drains,( i did see a city put a ban on that), etc... i would like to see a entry license and have 1 year in the field 12 months not one summer or growing season for me to do electric it takes a lot less money in tools and all to work and a license in one neighboring state but boss has master license
    why is there nothing for landscaping license wise?
  2. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

so how do you know he doesn't have insurance? because he has an old truck? My brain is now hurting from trying to read your entire post.
  3. 321birdguy

no the person who got my bid told me they did not have insurance when i asked if the person had insurance
  4. JeremyKuhn

JeremyKuhn LawnSite Senior Member

Even if they required a license you would still have guys without one, maybe just not as many. Really it doesn't require much intelligence to cut grass, it just does to make it look good.
  5. Kawizx62003

Kawizx62003 LawnSite Silver Member

Greece Fittings? really?

Maybe work on your sales presentation. You cant be mad at the guy, this IS AMERICA! I have a 2007 truck, so what? If he doesnt NEED liability insurance by law then there is no reason to be mad...

Most people dont care if you have insurance or not on a $25 lawn mowing job. Its nice but they dont care.
  6. 321birdguy

yes i understand but i deal with license in my 40 hr job electrical would help level the playing field
  7. Kawizx62003

Kawizx62003 LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe you are more of a new comer than him?
  8. 321birdguy

people break rules like wiring a house homeowner says they are dowing it .... just so a unlicensed person does it ways around it... but just makes it harder for fly by nights to work..
  9. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

If you feel so strongly about requiring a license for yourself and your competition you should lobby your elected officials and have a law passed. You may have more success locally. Personally I believe you will have little or no support from the members on this site since having a license is more of a inconvience or expense, IMHO.
    You could always apply for a job with code enforcement and where you live and if hired would quickly discover how much more cut and dry your working life was as an electrician.
    easy-lift guy
  10. doobs41378

doobs41378 LawnSite Member

Did you email the bid to them? If so did you spell like you did in your post??