1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Commercial Accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kent Lawn Care, Nov 18, 2001.

1. Kent Lawn Care

Kent Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Just wanted to first say thanks to everyone, your tips are very helpful on here. My question is, im interested in gaining commercial accounts, but im not sure how to go about getting them. ive heard from people that you have to wait till they call you (in otherwords wait till your big enough so the notice you). others have told me to go knocking on their doors, well to me the first option doesnt seem to logical to me, but yet the second one to me seems to pushy. Im just curious if theres some other way out there that i havent heard of yet. If so PLEASE let me know, thanks loads.

2. Well looks like you got it covered and don't need anyone to answer.

OK ya got me. Pushy is not the word. It's ambisious. Go get them. most will not come to you.
  3. TotalLawn

TotalLawn LawnSite Member

Go to the door, ask to speak with the person in charge of the grounds. If they come to talk to you, just introduce yourself, tell them about your Co. and see if they are interested in a quote. If not or if you don't get to talk to the person, leave a card and a brochure and be on your merry way.

I have had several call me back just by leaving the info.
  4. LawnPro in NC

LawnPro in NC LawnSite Member

Well I'm New to this also, and I'm currently riding around looking at commercial properties and jotting down the name and street. Then I'll send them a letter tell a bit about being a new Co. That could possibly save them some money on lawncare. I let them know I"ll be callling in a couple days. I've sent out about 20 letters and have given 4 quotes.
    I'll have to get back to you on the overall out come of this project. With the computer I made a nice lookin' Letterhead.
  5. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Since August I have gone door to door. To 175 places commercial places talking to 85% of the people incharge of business with the grounds. I got 2 jobs out of it one was just a one time landscape job and the other is a yearly mowing and maint. contract. To me it was not worth it I spent 200 bucks in fuel for my truck and hours apon hours talken my brains out. They all said the same deal
    " we are not interested"
    " a family member does it"
    " we are happy with our current service"
    " we have the same guy do all our local locations"
    so I got tired of doing that ...I think I actually might go back to doing it though to get some leaf jobs.