New Commercial Accts

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by rcreech, Dec 20, 2009.

1. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

When do you all start on marketing to new commercial accts?

In the past I have always started in Mid Feb and had pretty good luck.

Wondering about starting earlier this year due to the competitiveness and and the economy! Was going to go out maybe Jan 2 and hit it hard!

What about you guys?

2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

that seems too early, but your reasons and concerns are valid. i think we are going to mail bids to businesses in january too. we are going to try this approach as commercials here are very difficult sometimes. since it will be very selelctive, i think the cost will be quite low and maybe get our name out there more with them and land us a few .

3. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Do you mean unsolicited bids? Are you going to measure & quote out the properties without them saying they are accepying/open to bids?

4. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

How are you guys marketing for these accounts? Are you making personal contacts, submitting bids, what else?

5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Almost always I try and get a contact first...but if I can't I just cold call them!

I make personal visits on all my commercial accts. and give them a very professional looking folder that contains everything they need to know about me and what I do.

I don't spend any money on commercial accts other then a little gas and time.

I only measure ones that I have a chance at.

6. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

RC are u offering just programs/ treatments?
    not mowing and other lands services?

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I only offer the lawn health portion...such as weed control, fert, seeding and aeration.

Most of the local business's use a mowing service and then use Tru Green. I am also trying to hook up with these mowing business's and will even sub under them if they want.

If the business wants mowing I then recommend them to a fellow friend for that. I get him a ton of work because he does a great job and prices are resonable.

I don't want anything to do with mowing!

8. grassman177

yeah , contacts will be made to ask if they will entertain the bid. sorry, i did not think of to tell you, assumed i guess

9. grassman177

we have not done any real marketing before on commercial as the town is know for the lowest bidder and work. but recently we are getting much more newer commercial that require a professional, like restaurants, retail etc. so now we are going with multiple marketing approach for all demographics. we are figuring out which method to use where for obvious the best return on investment. promoting our website will be a big part of this endeavor.

10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

If you have a person on the inside it really helps!

I also offer a great referral program to customer that get me into where they work.

One fella got me 12 properties (he works for a property managment group) that totaled over $2200/yr...and needless to say that he is getting his lawn done for free. He is one of my smaller lawns...so that was a cheap way to pick up some business!

They are somewhat small properties...but I will get my truck all over the area and it will be pretty easy work!

People seeing you on commercial properties are big IMO! The more people can see your trucks the better!