New Commercial Lead

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spriallen, May 2, 2007.

1. spriallen

spriallen LawnSite Member

I have a new resturant that just opened in my town and my sister works there. The owner is looking for a bid from me, but I have never done commercial work before and I don't know how to price the job. Do I price it like I would residential or is it higher? There is not much grass, but it has alot of hedges that need shaped, also 3 or 4 small trees. Could someone please help me?

2. prosperity

prosperity LawnSite Member

Price it so you make some money - but don't overdo it....I guess what I am saying is take a good look at everything, and use your residential bidding experience and bid accordingly.

Keep in mind for a restaurant - might be a little more time consuming as you have to make sure you don't get any grass/debris on any parked cars, and you have to be sure to do a good cleanup afterward (blowing off all pavement). And, with the hedges, you'll have to haul the debris away.

Don't be afraid of commercial bids - I like doing commercials myself.

Oh - and don't forget they may ask for an insurance certificate to prove your liability insurance.

3. spriallen

I'm giong try and expand to doing commercial account, and if this one goes good I would like to find more of them. But, I don't know how to find them; do you just start approaching the business' or do you just send them a letter of interest in having them as a customer?

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of commericial are got just like you got to bid on this one....got to get to know all the right people, it takes time. These resturants are good because they constantly change stuff....need flowers, a new foot path, irrigation changes, but the problem is you have to be available almost immediately.

5. spriallen

I'm available, sorry to say! Just gettin back into the game here in Ohio. Moved my business back from Florida. And I would rather deal mainly with commercial. Should I cold call alot of these places and try to take business from another or what? haven't even advertised yet, starting to think it might be to late this season for commercial and maybe even res..

6. prosperity

prosperity LawnSite Member

Depends on the individual business....

Larger, chain type businesses, will usually have a corporate office that will accept bids, etc. Smaller businesses will be handled in house most of the time.

It would be nice if all these businesses would publicly post in the newspaper with bid notices, but they don't.

Best thing to do is beat feet to them in person, with business cards in hand. During the regular daytime business hours, go in and ask to speak to the manager. Most will be able to tell you how they handle their work - weather it be bid every season or not, and if it is done in-house or at their corporate office. Then, a nice follow up letter asking to be included in the bid session for the next season if in fact they do bid it out.

For those smaller businesses that do not bid out, it's good to get one of your business cards in the hands of the manager - maybe they already have someone doing their work, and might not be happy with the service......