New Compostable Materials

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Daner, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out Glads new bags...you simply throw them In the composter when your done...reducing land and trash...Now If they could make packaging for our other household goods...I think This would be a great step In the right direction for our Planet . I'm wondering what If any beneficial science would be added to the piles :)

Daner

IMG_2906_4996.jpg

IMG_2905_4995.jpg

IMG_2908_4998.jpg

2. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

yep thats a step,,,, however the plastic thats used, mater-bi and renol, eh i am still on the fence about there use, the starch based plastics need some more research before they are allowed in my operation.

we have been composting some french made bags for over 1 year now also,,,, there still here!!!!!!

3. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Different than the bags maybe, but I still have plastic chunks in my pile from last summer. They were once clear containers and trays like the boxes blueberries would come in or a tray under some ears of corn. They are now white small hard chunks of material looking like large distorted shrinky dinks. I don't see them breaking down, just shrinking in length and width and increasing in thickness, and changed from clear to white. They were in a hot pile for a while last year and again for this season. I believe these were corn based? I am still finding them when I turn the pile. Maybe good for landfill purposes but I hope to have my compost done way before these things degrade, at that rate. We are using brown paper lunch bags for our daily kitchen scraps; wife calls them compost bombs

4. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

"like large distorted shrinky dinks"

sounds like a thingy-ma-bob

"We are using brown paper lunch bags for our daily kitchen scraps; wife calls them compost bombs"

I like it, that's awesome.

5. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

what good would it be though if they throw metals and other plastics in them?