New compressor is here

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by grassmanak, Jan 2, 2008.

1. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

My new compressor arrived a few days ago and i finally had a chance to break down the crate. I know its not a giant tow behind unit, but im just trying to get my feet wet with my current customers. Here are a couple pics, hose is 3/4x50, i got 3 rolls, still looking for a hose reel though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

ruturn the 50' rolls and by it by the foot. It is a little less and if you put it on a reel it will wind up nice.

3. Squirter

Squirter LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

Nice looking rig! My wife just bought me an A/C for xmas. Not the one I wanted, but the one she wanted me to have. I love her to death but I'm way too ashamed to provide pictures. Let's just say its really a pretty yellow-colored tank and will fit nicely on a shelf in the garage (puke)....that's if its capable of sinking a few nails in a 2x4 support. On second thought, maybe I could just keep it in a plastic carrying case.

I know this question has been asked several times...but.. What is the minimum sized compressor needed to blowout a small residential (7 zone)system??? Time is not a concern as I have all weekend to get the job done...should I ever have the need or desire to do it. Will 10 cfm @ 40psi w/30 gal tank be enough? I'd really like to stay below $1,000.

P.S. Not looking to put anyone out of business...just trying to justify the increased cost to replace the new xmas A/C (toy) with one that could conceivably blowout our system. I have my heart set on a new Quincy compressor for my workshop.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The tank is what does the work on a dinky compressor, so buy the largest tank you can afford. Beyond that, choose a cast-iron compressor pump that uses oil over an oil-free pump, and you might still be using the compressor a decade from now.

5. grassmanak

the one i bought here is rated at 25 cfm at 175psi, so at 40-60 it should be much higher. i paid around 2200

6. Wet_Boots

You could see 35 cfm at lower pressures, but not a whole lot more. Your owner's manual should tell you what to expect.

I would also recommend rethinking the hoses, since you can't easily link them end-to-end and roll them onto a reel. When I bought these hoses, I moved the sleeve over the brass fittings I coupled together, and got something that I could reel up. For 25 cfm, you could get by with a 5/8 hose, but 3/4 does provide a bit of extra air storage.

7. grassmanak

i cant really return the hose, would be a huge hassle shipping it back, i may try and sell it locally or something. Is good year hose good? i was thinking about getting 100ft to put on the reel, and then carrying and exrta 50 along. i was looking at a reel craft hose reel. I would like an electric, but price comes into play also. Is it that bad having to hand crank it. im only going to be doing 50 or so blowouts.

8. Wet_Boots

You can hand-crank a reel no problem, and something like a Reelcraft or a Hannay can be made to accept future installation of a motor drive.

9. grassmanak

cool, thanks for the info, for hose should i just get 1 100ft piece, would this be better for the real, should i get 150ft, or get 100ft and carry an extra piece?

10. Wet_Boots

I get by with 150', from two of those 75's coupled together, but I also have an old Toro compact flat hose reel, to give me an extra 50' for the homes where the blowout connection is in a basement (sometimes the basement windows get 'painted shut' or just aren't there)

dd7c_1.JPG