1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new concept

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by vipermanz, Jan 17, 2002.

1. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone here ever come up with the idea to have a stream run across a part of a lawn? for example: dig out a trench across the selected area, line it with pondliner, fill up the sides and bottom with sandstone type rocks, and have a small pond at the end of it to hold the water so it could be pumped back up to the head of it through a pipe parallel to the stream.

Is this possible?:)
  2. aquascape

aquascape Member

That shouldn't be a problem. The only thing that you want to look out for is that you have the bottom pond large enough to hold the water in the stream. (mainly if you are using a skimmer). If it is too small, when the pump shuts off you'll flood the bottom pond. When the pump starts again, there is not enough water in the pond so the pump runs dry.

If you just wanted a stream, you can dig a hole for the pond, cover it with a grate of some kind, put the pump in there, then cover the great with rocks and gravel to hide it. That should work fine.

3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

it would have to be big enough to hold the water in the stream too, for example if it's turned off at night.:)
  4. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Don't forget that the longer the stream, the larger the pump you'll need to get a desired flow. Also take into account the "head" or rise height as this will affect pump volume.
  5. Texas ProLawns

Texas ProLawns LawnSite Member

I haven't built one of these, but I did see one a couple of months ago. It was just as you had described. The pond at the top was larger in area, but not as deep as the pond at the bottom. The area set aside for the stream was fairly wide (lots of river rock) but the water wasn't overflowing.

Overall, it looked great. I think sometime this year I may try and build one similar.