1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new concrete and ice/snow melt

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TOTALLAWN OF KY, Oct 6, 2004.

TOTALLAWN OF KY LawnSite Member

i have a customer that would like me to apply salt or ice melt this winter .they have a new concrete drive .what is the safest product ,so i don't pitt or tear up the drive way. cost is no issue.also they have a stamped and dyed pad as well any suggestions
  2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

I was always told nothing on concrete that is less than a year old. I use calcium and sometimes potassium when temps are cold but used only on cleared concrete to finish melting what is left from blower or plow. Becareful if snow is thick as it could pop the top off the concrete. It needs to melt the snow/ice and then be able to dry. If temp is upper 20's or more use 46-0-0 (never use slow release or product with iron). STAY AWAY from salt always on concrete.

I am sure that there are many others with different products.
  3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

If concrete is new this year, NO SALTS - INCLUDING FERTILIZER PRODUCTS, because they are also salt formulations.

Plan on using sand or kitty litter for the first winter with new concrete.
  4. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, sand is a good choice. Also, if the concrete has not already been sealed, consider using one of the commercially available sealers, or linseed oil.