1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Construction Houses

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by aperfectlawn, Oct 28, 2003.

1. aperfectlawn

aperfectlawn LawnSite Member

How would you go about getting the landscape job for new construction houses.
  2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

3. aperfectlawn

aperfectlawn LawnSite Member

I was wanting more info about contacting builders before they sell the house. I figured someone is doing the landscaping.
  4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I gone and done that route. The problem is the builder wants the cheapest work our there, He doesn't care about how it will look in 6 months becouse he won't own it or he wants the install done at a certain time [Ryan Homes would want it after the siding was installed] and worker are walking all through it, OR no ones living there to WATER everything. The model home is the only one you could make money with, but then the builder expects all kinds of extra freebies and if you seen the crap that was under all that pretty mulch you would sh$&%^. Wait for the new home owner moves in and go charge 3 times what the builder will pay. Pm back and I'll give you the $ of what ryans willing to pay in ohio and most other are close. 30 homes at $x amount or 7-8 homes for the same $
  5. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

Did some work for Ryan Homes & Davis Homes in Indiana.
    It was hard to get too little money. Never again! I avoid working directly for track home builders like they have the plague. If I hear "It will even out in the long run" one more time I'll scream.

6. Robert T

Robert T LawnSite Member

I just started calling builders out of the Phone book, I see alot of people on this site advise against working for builders but I have found it very profitable. The builder I work with built over 200 houses so far this year Priced from 100k to 500k I get paid 30 days from invoice, but they pay their bills on the 30th and 15th so most of the time I get paid within 15 days.
    Just make sure you have some cash before jumping in because expense add up fast when doing 1 or 2 lawns a day!