1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Construction Topsoil?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Team-Green L&L, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't you hate how they take the topsoil from a new construction property? Is there a more cost effective way of sodding/seeding successfully than bringing in more topsoil?
  2. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

The top soil does seem to be the greatest expense of new yard install. I pay around 250-300 for 21-23 ton delivered. I like working my own dirt better than a lot of the existing due to it is mostly rock free. Many times in my area the initial excavter when he cuts the top soil has all the sod mixed thru it, and makes it tough for a nice final grade plus with all the rocks and sticks thru it. Some times im really glad if they do haul it away because its not my idea for a nice yard even though it grw grass at 1 time before. We have very little natural top soil in our area.
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

If you can get to the contractor before the excavations start and ask them to put the topsoil aside then put in back on when they are done..well most will do that.
    But the nse yo youruestion os..no there is not
  4. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on how bad the soil is, tilling in compost may revitalize the existing soil, along with really well designed irrigation.

5. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

speaking from an excavator operators view, its a pain in the ass to save the topsoil and keep it seperate, and generally you would be MUCH better off bringing in some good top soil anyways. When im diggin for a house I just dig, i dont want to scratch off the first ~6-10" of soil/sod and keep it seperate, then go back and dig the hole. And when i go to backfill i dont want to go and grade everything, then try to spread more some crappy topsoil/sod mix back around the house. It's not worth the my time, the machine time, the fuel, etc. plus all the rocks and sticks in the mix would make it hard to rake out before sod anyways. I always grade ~6" lower than final grade then the landscapers bring in their top soil and lay their sod.

If it was a large development i could see bringing in a screen and screening all the topsoil from the development and stockpiling it for future use, but thats a whole nother thing.