New Contract - Please HELP!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Braveheart, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Braveheart

Braveheart LawnSite Member

I have just won a new landscape maintenance contract for a gated community in Florida. Up to this point I have only been maintaining the common ground in a few gated communities. With this contract I am replacing One Source and I have to maintain the common ground and the homes.

There are 218 houses. We are responsible for everything. It starts next week and I have some big questions.

1. Should we do one house at a time or send out the mowers first, then the edgers, then the hedgers, blowers, etc… If I do send them out that why how many guys should be doing what? The houses have pretty small yards.

2. We are responsible for the hedging. I was thinking we should just hedge every time we are there. I was also thinking maybe to just do this on Saturdays once or twice a month.

3. I have 7 guys. Should I break them into two teams? They want us out of there in 2 or 3 days.

4. I have sub-contracted out the fertilizing, should I be doing this myself. I was looking at some Permagreen ride-on spreaders.

5. Because it is winter the schedule is every other week. I was supposed to start tomorrow but I am not ready yet so I want to tell the HOA President that we are starting on an “off” week. This way I do not have to start until Jan. 7th. Good Idea?

6. Any other advice would be much helpful...

Thank you in advanced.

Tom

2. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Personally when I have alot of houses together we do them all at once. Just divide your team equilly and have some guys mow, some trim and edge, and all blow at the end. I would not recomend trimming hedges eveytime you are there. It would look better to have them all trimmed at once. Having some trimmed and nice looking and others unkempt would not appeal to my eye. As far as fertilizing i would do it myselft. Dont waste the money on a $2k spreader for one contract. Just get a lesco spreader and do it yourself. Fertilizing has to be one of the easiest things to do. GOOD JOB GETTING THE CONTRACT. I hope what i said helps and its just my opinion.

3. good luck with your contract, I see why you got it.

4. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

These are things you should of figured out before you even put in a bid.

5. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

If I was doing that job, I'd separate my crew and have each of the teams do blocks of 10 houses at a time. This would initiate some healthy competition, too.

6. Braveheart

What do you mean?

7. Braveheart

Good Point about the competition

8. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

My Bro and I would mow 45 per day in Melbourne, Florida. I don't see a reason why your crew couldn't get the job done in a day and some change.

9. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

No way I would want to tell them I'm not "ready". By waiting would it be 3 weeks since the last cut? If anything, you might call and ask if it's OK to give the guys off for New Years Day .. and be ready to go on the 2nd?

That give you two days to get your act together .. get to work!

g/l

10. Braveheart

Not a bad idea - thanks!