1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Convertible Mower is great!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by indy2tall, Oct 10, 2005.

1. indy2tall

indy2tall LawnSite Senior Member

I was fortunate to demo the new Convertible mower recently for a week and I can tell you it is a fantastic machine. I will be buying one before the start of next season for sure. I don't have any pictures to post but check out John Gamba's post on this mower for pictures. Besides the obvious benefit of using the mower as a walk behind on steep hills or under low hanging trees I found the controls to be the most responsive and easy to use of any mower I have ever tried out. This was very helpful as we had just had almost 3 inches of rain several days before and many of my yards were still very wet but I didn't have any problems with tire spin. Another big benefit ( at least in my opinion) is that it has a much higher reverse speed than a normal walk behind. I also found it to be very good at not tearing turf on turns. The cut was as good or better than any mower I have tried. To me this mower seems to be the perfect machine for the solo operator (like myself) with limited trailer space who would like to have a rider but knows there will always be times that he still needs his walk behind. The only bad thing I can even come up with is that I had to give it back to them so they could take it to the Expo in Louisville next weekend!
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

This is great news and in fact all I'm hearing about this 06 is great news from those who have tried it. I'm adding it to the list of mowers I will consider when it comes time to pick up another.

I've forgotten though, what units will be available?
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

What deck and engine did you have??? Glad you liked it.

4. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Does it still have that metal kitchen chair look over the mower for a seat and without any springs to cushion bumps.

Are you going to use this for commercial use? Better get more padding for you rear end. :D
  5. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

I have over 130 hrs on the new setup and it is great. Very smooth ride and will knock it down at 11-12 MPH.
  6. dmc456

I heard the new 61" Convertible is going to be an absolute BEAST!!! I have not seen it yet, but from testing the other models, WOW! And it will be at the show this weekend.

It comes with a 30HP Kohler, cutting at 13MPH, and 24x12x12 drive tires, and weight I'm guessing around 800lbs. Probably one of the highest, if not the highest, HP per pound mowers on the market. Also probably one of the best mowers on the market for weight distribution. Handles hills awesome, very light on the turf, and can go about anywhere in the ZTR mode.

This will be my next mower purchase. Well, I'll probably go for and the 61" w/ the 28HP EFI Kohler engine or diesel to save on gas.
  7. dmc456

Well, they do have the suspension seat option just like Hustler. Basically a spring ride (adjustable) like in a semi, but not needed. I thought I was going to get a suspension seat, but when testing the demo it was not needed.

I might get one anyway. I drove one with the seat (not mowing) and it was pretty slick. Just floats.
  8. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

A quick demo of a mower is different from the real world where you don't know what type of bumpy ground you will be mowing. I would get the spring seat if they offer it.
  9. dmc456

I have done more than a quick demo on the new platform / chassis setup.
  10. indy2tall

indy2tall LawnSite Senior Member

The seat no longer sits over the engine and with the spring seat option should make just about anyone happy. I will be using it commercially as I feel it is superior to the Toro, Scag and John Deere hydro mowers I already own.