New crabgrass thread for Spring 2014

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Hineline, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Hineline

Hineline LawnSite Senior Member

Not much activity from the northern guys this year. What a winter! Anyway I'm thinking the soils will take a lot of time to warm this year so I was thinking of going out with prodiamine once again this year at about a .4 lb rate and letting the soils warm to activate it. I have noted the lawns that had break though last year and will do a follow up with dimension in June.

Any better thoughts?

2. Monroe74

Monroe74 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a pretty good plan. I tried that last year and seemed to work pretty well

3. Hineline

I could go out and do two back to back dimension apps like everyone recommends but on round 2 I do other things other than nitrogen and pre.

Anyone using Tenacity as a post crab control?

4. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Wondering how you solo operators manage to get all your pre m done in the short time window? I see way to many applying pre m to late. Just apply very early? I guess I am referring to those with a large customer base
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I'm a southern guy but our university turf guys say you really can't apply too early. It will just sit inactive until the soil warms and microbes start to break it down.

I'm sure there is a threshold about what too early is but a few weeks wouldn't matter. Now you northern guys have a snow problem that we don't face.

Good luck!! At least your plowing numbers look nice
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Hineline

When prodiamine first hit the market in the 90's I sold it to the golf industry in a dormant feed in the late Fall. It releases through microbial activity so in cold soils it basically sits dormant waiting for the soils to warm. This year I see no problem getting the apps down before the soils warm enough to pop a lot of crab. Remember that you can get some early germ but the worst flushes happen in the warm soils of mid summer.

7. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

On our cool season turf properties, we apply granular prodiamine with fertilizer in February, trying to time application just before a decent rain is forecast. It's worked very well for the past couple of years.

8. zspeed130

zspeed130 LawnSite Senior Member

I am unfamiliar with prodiamine. Does JD carrier it? If so what is your cost generally per acre or 1K? Very curious as honestly I have many lawns I would like to cut back on frt the first couple months as color is not an issue and they grow like mad as is.

Thanks,

Z

9. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Prodiamine is the AI in Barricade and we buy a generic granular version of it in a 19-0-3 fertilizer mix. If I recall correctly, it's about $16 for a 50 pound bag, and at a 1 lb N2/1000 sf rate, we're using about one bag per 10,000 sf.

10. zspeed130

zspeed130 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks! Guess I coulda googled but this is so much simpler sometimes :)

I will check with JD tomorrow.
    Posted via Mobile Device