New Craftsman LT 2000 - Big Plumes of White Smoke?!?!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bs111, Jul 28, 2005.

1. bs111

bs111 LawnSite Member

I just used my brand new 18.5 HP 42' Craftsman Rider last night. I added a much kit to it (side cover w/ mulcher blades). After about 10 minutes, huge plumes of white smoke came out of it. I thought nothing of it, as the mower kept going full power. It did studder a bit as the smoke was coming out. It did this abotu 10 times w/in an hour. Each time it happened, I opened the cover as I was riding and noticed the engine was FINE. I wondered if there was maybe oil somehow in the gas, but that seemes unlikely. Then I noticed that when I was done, there was a LOT of grass build up on top (near the pully's). If it gets clogged....does a big plume of smoke shoot out from underneath? This is my first rider.....it's a fresh sodded yard and only the second time I've mowed. Please help! Is this thing CRAP? Should I shot it out the side instead of mulching? What is causing the big plumes of smoke

2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you're burning the belts on it from your description. Perhaps some pics would help us help you figure out what it is.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Take off the mulch kit, try it again. you may need a new belt.
    John

4. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

What did the smoke smell like? burnt rubber, oil, or what?

5. bs111

bs111 LawnSite Member

White smoke to light brown smoke.....smelled more like burning oil than rubber from the belt. I noticed a few times that it seemed like the mower was "spitting" out bombs of smoke. My thought is that the grass is piling up....it's getting caught in the belts...smooking and finally it shoots it out a few feet in front of the mower. In retrospect....it almost smells like burning grass.....but why the "white smoke"????? It's very puzzeling.

6. John Gamba

from ct

Take off the mulch kit and try it.See if it happens again. OH!!! check you oil level!!!! before anything.

7. bs111

bs111 LawnSite Member

A few things I wanted to add to this.

1. My lot is nearly completely flat
    2. When I was riding and I started to see smoke....when i opened up the engine cover....there was NO smoke coming from the engine itself....it was all coming from underneath.
    3. The amount of smoke was enough that you could smell it for probly 5 homes in each direction. It was rather embarassing and likely VERY funny to anyone watching.
    4. It was on clerance at Sears. A guy had returned it the day after he bought it, becasue he tried to bring it up a hill that was too steep. He didnt' even engage the blades. I confirmed this, as the blades still had the coating on them and there was NO sign of it being used what so ever.

I can take the crap so be honest when answering this question. Is craftsman just junk in general? I dont' need a 2K plus John Deere. I'd settle for an LT 108 automatic at Home Crepot for $1599 if I had to if you all think it's that much better.

The thing of it is that they are BOTH made by Electrolux and have the SAME engine....so why would I not go with the less expensive one for the lot I have?

Thank you very much for your replies and help!

8. bs111

bs111 LawnSite Member

Oil level is 100% ok. I checked it...it was in the normal level. This is the first thing I thought of.

9. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

did you lean or tip it to install the kit?

10. John Gamba

from ct

Is there alot of grass underneath the deck?????

John