New Craftsman Professional 21" Review

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CogentRES, Apr 30, 2008.

1. CogentRES

CogentRES LawnSite Member

I have read quite a few posts from people wondering if this mower is any good.

I needed another mower on a Sunday.... So I picked one of these up. I just got a HUD contract and most of the lawns are too small for anything but a 21".
    It was used on 70 or so lawns. and then returned.

The engine is awesome............. Too bad they put it on this mower.

The 6 speed drive system is painfully slow.
    Adjusting the height on the front wheels is ridiculously complicated.

Everything for HUD is mulched. This is where this mower really falls apart. (literally)

Part of the deck is plastic. Well after two days it was destroyed and the mower was leaving clumps everywhere.
    [​IMG]

This is my first summer landscaping and this HUD contract came about suddenly. I just bought a couple of Super Recyclers ($200 each on CL) until I can justify picking up some Exmarks. Too bad the 26" Metro does not seem to mulch well.

2. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

Ugh. Basically a homeowner mower with a commercial engine on it - the Kaw FJ180V?? The Toro Super Recycler is a far better mower than any Crapsman.

3. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Looks like MTD made that for them.

4. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

NEVER buy anything from sears/ craftsman. Period.

5. blowerboy

blowerboy LawnSite Member

Get ANY of the toro mowers lol( prefribly the comercial model or a personal pase) they are great i own three and all serve me well cant go wrong with toro. ATLEASTE THE 22" and 21" mowers lol

6. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

Don't get the 22" toro for mulching. UNLESS they changed things, it only comes with a finned blade and can't mulch worth crap. The 21" Super Recycler mulches much better but it still won't last, I only used mine about 15 hours a week for 5 months, for 2 years and I need to have fixed yet again. Instead of sinking more money into these recyclers I bought a heavy duty commercial proline with bbc, VERY NICE. but costs a lot.

7. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Lets see.....I have a Craftsman 20" inch push mower I received as a wedding present - 20 YEARS AGO (runs perfect). I also have an endless assortment of Craftsman hand tools that are guaranteed FOREVER !!!!!!!

Think before you make senseless posts like that. :usflag:

8. saw man

from utah

Crapsman never made a mower nor the tools you are so proud of.

Think before you make senseless posts like that. ;)

9. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

I understand what you are saying - the original comment referred to the Craftsman brand. :usflag:

10. saw man

from utah

I would still say the Crapsman brand sucks!

You seem to stick up for them but looking at your sig you are not using their product, why?