New Cub Cadet 33" mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Mar 16, 2007.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Take at look at the new Cub Cadet 33" mower. Looks like a copy of the Troybilt 33". Very interesting and a good price. Might make a good gate mower.

cub cadet.jpg

cub cadet.jpg

2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

$1200. I'll pass, it looks cheap. I realize its a homeowners model but for that price why not buy a riding mower.

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

It's basically a Troybilt Widecut with some cosmetic changes. Deck appears to be the same. Not too keen on the moronic control setup on the handles though. Also it appears that the handles are adjustable or can fold. I gurantee they will break where the holes are dirlled thru them. Handle was a weak point on the TB even without any extra holes in them. Looks like they also did away with the crank height adjuster and went with a lever of some sort on the side. Dosn't look too bad for a smaller operator or for just using it on back yards/small stuff.

4. gibsonsg311

gibsonsg311 LawnSite Member

Agreed I used to have a 33" Troy, built like a tonka toy, handles cracked and had to weld them. It would make a good home owner mower, but for $1200 forget it pick up a used scag.

5. superclyde007

superclyde007 LawnSite Member
    from IN

Neither the TB 33's or the new Cub 33 is a commercial mower.
    They would make a good homeowner unit.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I don't disagree with a lot being said here.

But I also share a little different viewpoint... and that is this...

If all you are spending is $1,200.... sure beats a 21".

That's my 2 cents... and about as far as I go on this one.

7. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

It looks like its not a commercial built mower looks more like a residential and for that price id pass on it

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I just sold one to a commercial cutter. He is a one man operation, and will not have hired help running the 33" cub. He mows 3 days/week. There are a lot of changes from the Troybilt design, and all for the good. I think this is really a pretty good mower for the price, and might just work well for a part time LCO. I am really interested in how the one we sold holds up. I did inform the buyer that these are not true commercial machines, but he believes it will work for him, and I think so too. We will see.

9. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Nothing wrong with them for homeuse. I use a much older version at my house. Its Cub Cadet colors with a pull start 8HP Briggs on it.

10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I bought a 2000 Cub widecut(older version of the one pictured) back in 2000. The one I got has electric start and has a 9hp Briggs(been told its actually a 10hp). I don't use it often but it has held up nicely, cuts good and leaves pretty nice stripe. Only major repairs was replacing a shift fork in the transmission. But other than that just normal wear and tear. Its not a commercial mower but all its serving me well.