new Cub Tank... with a failing PTO

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Willofalltrades, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Cub tank. Its a 2006 that I got on clearance. It has the 25hp Kaw. and a 60" deck. THe machine only has 42 hours on it. The pto takes between 10-30 seconds to engage and when it does its weak. I have the RPM set right. Plus it seems week, even when I'm cutting 1" of blue grass that isn't that heavy... the motor bogs down. I know its not just under powered... its weaker than normal. While I was cutting today the blades just randomly shut off and they wouldn't turn back on. Would you say its time for a trip to the dealer? The machine has alrady been there for a hydrolic leak... I didn't take it in when the front anti-scalp roller fell off, I fixed that on my own. I have less problems with a 9 year old John Deere walkbehind with 1000 hours!
  2. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

sounds like the electric clutch needs adjustment
  4. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I doubt it is the electric pto, sounds more like either the pto switch or ignition switch acting up. The electric pto is nothing more than a large magnet, either it will work or it won't.
  5. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

You have it right. I have a 2006 tank 54" and at about 30 hours the PTO came loose. I took it in under warranty and they replaced it with a new one. I talked with the mechanic and he said it is a very common problem. They put a new one on and used lock tight to hold this one on and I have had no problems since.

Good luck.