New customer accounts

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jake65, Oct 11, 2005.

1. jake65

jake65 LawnSite Member

Hi,

I may have the opportunity to acquire about 25-30 lawn accounts for next spring. A current LCO in my area is down sizing slightly and wants to dump some accounts. I was just wondering once I obtain this list of accounts what would be the best approach to maintain these accounts. I am assuming they are under contract which will be up for renewal sometime soon and there is no guarentee for them to resign. Would I go to each of these accounts introduce myself and offer a discount for the first cut or one free service to sign back up with me in the spring. Not sure. I will be starting my new business next year and this would give me a great opportunity to quit my full time job and jump in head first. What worked for you all in this situation? Any advice would be appreciated.:help:

Thanks
    Jake

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Have never 'bought' accounts from anyone. However, as far as the approach goes...I would treat it just like a house that sold and new customers, not a new property, moved in. Write a formal letter on your company letterhead explaining whatever needs to be explained and ask to meet with them to discuss what you've been doing previous, or in your case, what you will be doing and for what price.

3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<Table width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><TR><TD><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></TD></TR></Table>
    Hi jake65,

Why is he dumping the accounts? Are they unprofitable? Be careful.

<table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Make your own logo Free.</center>

4. jake65

jake65 LawnSite Member

He mentioned he wants to downsize. I will have more info this week. I was told by his nieghbor who works for my wife he has other leads coming in he was going to give me as well. I will sit tight until I find out what his intentions are.

Jake:eek:

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

The other LCO should have the courtesy to contact these clients to let them know what's going on. He should tell them he's downsizing for whatever reason, but that he's found a good LCO to take over. Maybe he's going to do so, I would never just cut customers loose without informing them