New customer agreement

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by brianlooft, Feb 5, 2008.

1. brianlooft

brianlooft LawnSite Member

How do most of you handle signing up new customers? Do you go for a full year agreement or contract? Do you take a deposit? Can they switch service mid-season?
    And how do you bill?

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Annual contracts.

Bill monthly.

I take a deposit if the monthly is high but I bill a month ahead anyway. For exapmle they must pay at least one payment when we sign the contract. This way I'm always working off my debt to them NOT the other way around.

I've never had to take anyone to collections in 8 years in business.....

3. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I do annual contracts. I don't take a deposit except on bigger landscape jobs. I bill monthly.

4. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

i just this year started to make sure every customer sign a one year contract . this is something that i have not done regularly until a few months ago.

5. fertguy2008

fertguy2008 LawnSite Member

bill early and bill often.
    Bill at the beginning of the month due by the 15th
    never get behind 60 days

6. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

We bill on the 15th for the next months services. No payment received by the 1st = no service until payment has been received. So there is no way to have people owing you money for services rendered.
    Also on a 10 month billing system for the average cuts per year. We just started it this year and it, suprisingly, has been happily accepted by nearly all existing clients.

7. brianlooft

brianlooft LawnSite Member

Do most people usually go for spring and fall clean-ups in their contract?

8. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

we don't have the true 4 seasons here in northern cal. so we maintain all year long . a few customers will let their lawns go and then we will at that point do clean ups..