New Customer How far do you go!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bedbug, Feb 1, 2007.

1. bedbug

bedbug LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

A new customer has had lawn care provided by another lawn service or maybe he did it.
    The grass is high,none of the walks or driveways is edged, and no trimming done.
    My question is this. My standard service is move ,trim and edge. Would you charge more for the 1st visit, or charge him what will be his regular monthly charge.

2. kkls2006

kkls2006 LawnSite Member

CYA and charge him/her more for the first visit that way if they get rid of you after you straighten the place out there will be no loss....

Just my opinion...

3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

If more work is involved the first time than what it will be from then on, then charge more. If you are there longer, charge more. It's a simple concept. They pay you for your time.

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

If it's really overgrown or out of control I charge extra. Most people if the grass is growing 6 inches over the edge of the sidewalk, they understand why it costs more for a first time edge. That's what I run into most of the time. For the past few years I've pretty much avoided taking on any foot-tall lawns :laugh:

It's a judgement call for me otherwise. I don't sweat spending an extra 10 minutes the first time for trimming or a little edging.

5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Running a business has alot too do with common sense

What does your common sense tell you ??

6. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

CHARGE MORE Sometimes 2 - 3x more

7. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

You could do a couple of things. I have started billing @ the beginning of the month. For new customers that have seen my work or have been referred, I have been requiring up-front prepayment for the first month only. That way, they won't cancel after the first cut.

Another option is to do what the others have said, charge an hourly rate to do the first cut & then a regular rate after that.

8. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Why not adjust the price for the whole year. Or tell them there is an extra half hour of trimming that needs to be done before you mow so it looks good. And that it is going to be a little more the first cut then the rest of the year. I find telling them up front works well. Dont just cut and charge more without them knowing. You'll be getting off on the wrong foot.

9. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

When its overgrown like that I like to tell them before I even start its going to be a little more. Dont just throw that at them show what you are going to do.They balk at a little extra like that my PITA alert goes off and act accordingly.

10. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Amen.........