New customer issues with Bermuda

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by officerturner, May 8, 2014.

1. officerturner

officerturner LawnSite Member

I have a new customer that I also have a fertilizer program with along with mowing.28000sf yard. She sent me a tex saying she believes im mowing it to short!!!! 11/2. And that she wants it mowed no more that two times a month.. wth. Will this Bermuda still look good.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of bermuda? Most yards are cut around 3" in our area. And most Re bi-weekly

3. officerturner

officerturner LawnSite Member

Prob 419 front. Celebration in back
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know, I won't cut below 4" high.
    I will not do it.

Done been there and done that too many times.

5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

you can mow it at 2-2 1/2" and it will look fine. if it's really thick 3" will look ok.

I have one I do I mow it at 2" and then 2 1/2" during the heat of the summer.

if fertilizing just cut back on the amount you use. use half as much if you are gonna be mowing it bi weekly.

6. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns LawnSite Gold Member

My response is going to be the same as Green Doctors if he chimes in on this one. "Mam, do you know what kind of grass your local golf coarse has? Do you know what height it's cut at? Do you how often it's cut?" Don't expect a high quality lawn without high quality maintenance. There's times you have to do what the customer wishes, but also remember there's customers that you can follow their wishes, the results won't be there, and they still won't respect you for following "their decisions." It doesn't sound like your cutting it too low to me. I see guys cut Barmuda at 3" above around here. (Due to the drought and heat) I'm sure. I don't like the way it looks or grows at that height. But you apples and oranges don't mix together. You can't cut a Barmuda lawn at golf coarse heights and not expect to irrigate it or maintain it like a coarse. Same thing with your lawn at 1.5. Barmuda is meant to be cut that short, but if it's not properly irrigated and cared for, then you shouldn't be keeping it that low. Our Zoysia is at 7/8" with the reel as of right now. It's been so dry and far in a drought you're starting to see soil cracking in lawns. Our Zoysia is growing well, but I can notice the soil is drying out pretty quick now days, hence I'm having to develop a new schedule (fertilizer and irrigation) to adapt to the cutting height.

7. PicturePerfectLawns

I cut a lot of my Barmuda's at the same height. I think this height looks pretty decent and the Barmuda still does well at this height. 2" has been my ideal height, I agree 2.25" - 2.5" is a good height when temps. hit steady 90's. This is when cutting with a rotary mower obviously.

8. PicturePerfectLawns

Where are you located and what kind of grass are you speaking of? :confused:

I don't know if I've ever seen someone maintain Barmuda at 4+ inches. Am I missing something?

9. Jcl4slc

Jcl4slc LawnSite Senior Member

I have a very high end clientele. With some very high end yards. I quit letting customers dictate to me how they want their grass cut several years back. I do what's best for the grass . That's why they hire me/ you. I am not a " grass cutter." I am a lawncare operator who specializes in lawn maintenance /turf maintenance. They hire me Because their neighbors yards look good. Do you know why they look good? Because I don't allow them to tell me to cut St. Augustine at 1.5 inches and bermuda at 3 inches. We may be at different ends of the market but that's how you get the good accounts that can actually make you a nice comfortable living.

10. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Senior Member

I start the season out at 2.5 to 2.75. Any shorter the yard better be table top flat or you'll need to use a 21" mower or reel. Then as it grows fast during spring rain, I'll move to as high as 3.25 by mid June on EOW Bermuda lawns to keep from having to double cut and leave windrows. Then as the expected drought hits in Aug I leave it at 3.o and slowly work back down to 2.75 on the last cut. Keeps the lawn looking fresh all season and there is always something to cut when growth slows down.