new customer renovation job help

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Mbsausage, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Mbsausage

Mbsausage LawnSite Member

hi , I have a new customer with a 70' x 30' section of lawn thats rough and needs new seed. the are is very bumpy aka ankle breakers and needs to be smoothed out. i don't think he will need soil. i'm not sure of what type of equipment i will need or what to charge for this. please haelp i'm new to the renovation work and i need the business. thankyou MB
  2. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

HI< Ive been rennovating for 10 years and have a set way to do them . Everyone is different but this works great for me. We basically aerate the property 4 times putting 1.2 million holes in the yard per acre. We use a tow behind 43 inch turfco aerator pulled by a 48 " laser. we then apply 8 lbs of seed per 1,000 sq feet using onlu certified oregon seeds . Its critical to use the proper seed for the conditions and that use only a certified seed( read ingredients on back panel) you want 0% crop seeds very little inert matter (dust) and no noxious weed seeds. We then apply a 16-16-16 starte fertilzer gypsum if heavily clayed soil (40 lbs per 1000 SQ feet) and topdress with 1/4" of organic compost(using a tufco finsh green topdressing machine) The topdressing allows the ryes to germinate 3-5 days lol fescues in 9 and bluegrasses in 18. We then roll the property with 900lb rollers towed behind a laser. All our mowers have hitches as they are very usefull. We do however push the seed with larger push spreader to insure proper spread. As to the low spots you can add topsoil or compost as roller does not get rid of them but will palnt all the aerations plugs and seed and any seed not in ther holes wil be planted from the roller and plugs. Good Luck