1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new customer said the 17 year old and her honda 21incher did a better job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mike9497, Jun 4, 2003.

1. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

well i got a call from a new customer who was looking to have her lawn done because her mower was in the shop.she also knew one of my snow plowing customers who is a good customer.well this lady was rather old in her 80s and i just felt bad for her.the yard was big and a mess.its was a 50.00 job but i said 25.00.she said okay but can i do it asap? so i put her in on tues.went there with three guys mowed trimmed and bagged up everything.she comes out and says im not happy at all.its all ruff and not even.the 17 year old and my honda makes nice lines.what kind of mowers are those? i think you need to get them fixed or better yet replace them.i said well fine if you think its so bad than don't pay.she said oh well ill pay what i think its worth but i don't know how you get customers doing work like this with mowers like that.while she was talking my guys were getting ready to clean up.i said you know what i don't want your money even if the pope blessed it.guys get the blowers off your backs put the mowers away and lets get out of here.sorry but i feel we did an aw some job.the grass was 12 + inches in spots and it looked like a golf course when we were done.except for the grass on the walkways and driveways.so from now on we are no longer doing one time mowings

from AL

On many smaller res. lawns a 21" will leave a better cut, depending on height of cut & terrain undulations.
  3. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

If that's what she has to say, then I would just tell her she better go call that 17 year old kid with the 21" push mower.
  4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

You got taken for being a nice guy. All I can say is that was a learning experience. 25.00 for a 50 dollar job and you bagged foot long grass with 3 guys on the A.S.A.P. plan to boot.

That bought you some time in Heaven but lost you some big bucks here.
  5. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

This is pretty much my policy.

Learned from similar experiences.
  6. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I had a couple clients like that, I honestly believe their con artists, looking for something for nothing. Not to cut down the eldery, because I cut alot of senior lawns, but I get that from alot of them.
  7. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

My neighbor has an old rusted out "Honda" he uses everyday in his yard. I've never seen it leave stripes, though.

I'll ask him if you can borrow it. After all, it kinda just sits there. It's the Civic model.....I'm sure that old bag would love to see the stripes from that! Of course, wait till you've had about 4 days of steady rain:D
  8. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

I stopped dong 1 time cuts this year the minute I became solo. I
  9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Treat it as a learning experience. A lot of money was lost on that property but you have done the right thing moving on.

10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I do good work.

if someone wants to tell me it doesn't look good when I am done then I take it personally.

if they complain, I simply ask them to pay me what they think it is worth.

they do that knowing I wont be coming back.