1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

new customers call for a estimate then cancel 1 to 3 hours later

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mike9497, Jun 27, 2003.

1. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

had this happen 3 times today.they call to setup a meeting to give a price for lawn service.they call back within 1 to 4 hours saying they found a friend of the family to do it or they found someone who runs there company in the same area (living in the same town as them)

this really fires me up.i start making out the estimate sheets and contracts with there names on them.now i wasted 8 sheets of paper.it just takes time away from my regular customers who should have all my time.not these people who call 20 landscapers to come over the same time on the same day.then the person who's been mowing it all along (family Friend) gets to keep the account.
  2. All part of the biz...........
  3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have an ad currently running? The amount of daily calls (in total) that you're getting, is it what you'd call your normal amount, or have you had an excess lately?
    Do you have caller ID, just wondering if the people calling are indeed who they say they are.
    Some might think it 'funny' to make these kinds of calls, either competition or a so called friend.
    But then, I'm the suspicious type. Just seems odd to have that many of the same kind of call/cancellation in the same day.
    Other than that, write up your potential appointment in the computer and print before walking out the door. Might save paper, but definitely not frustration.
  4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Mike - Yeah, happens to me too, but not 3 in one day. Sometimes people panic and start making calls before they've considered their options. Or they call 10 places and then hire the first one to show up.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

happens to me too. The best is when they call and leave a message on the answering to give them a estimate. So you drive 20 mins out of your way for the estimate and then call them back up. But of course they say, "Oh, we already found someone else, sorry."

And then in my imagination I go, "SLAP, PUNCH, KICK."
  6. rdsmith3

rdsmith3 LawnSite Member

Speaking as a potential customer (I am not a professional), I was really PO'd when I called three landscapers for estimates, and only one of them actually gave me one. One of the non-respondents cuts my next door neighbor's lawn. That's why I called them. How hard would it have been to do an estimate?

So screw them. I bought a used Toro 44" walk behind, and now I do my own.

P.S. I applaud you folks on this site who seem to care about being true professionals. Here in NW NJ, many of the landscapers do not seem to care.
  7. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a guy sign a contract a couple of weeks ago and when I went to cut it 3 days later it was already done, I called him and he says he didnt know who cut it. his wife pulled in the drive way and she said she didnt know who cut it and her husband couldnt sign the contract because its her mothers house hmmmmmmmm a 5 bedroom house with giant pool for a lady thats at least 80 I dont think so. still trying to get an invoice to the guy it was returned to me so im looking on the net to find info on the guy and found him http://www.seminolesheriff.org/criminal/trav239.html
  8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I had one call set one up, the day of it I called and said I would be there in 15 min, they called while I was in the neighborhood and cancelled.
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

You would be surprised. Many of us with growing businesses have the hardest time to do estimates. Estimates take time and its not always easy to get to them right then.

...but many just don't care or are simply idiots.

For example, I was doing an aerating job this morning. High end residential customer. The guy across the street came over asking if I did sod. Sure. He told me the guy that is "going" to do it has been pushing him off with excuses for 5 weeks. By being at the right place at the right time I just picked up a HUGE sod job.
  10. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe the law states customers have 3 business days from signing a contract to change their minds & cancel, so at least these people didn't wait until then. You knew right away not to waste any more time with those accounts.