1. karl klein

karl klein LawnSite Member

i was wondering what time most people start looking for contracts.

2. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Never ends, we are always looking for new customers, winter spring summer and fall 24-7-365
    Dino

3. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

It is easy to sell your service when a customers lot looks like crap. After the snow and Ice melts and the landscaping is lookin good, it is a lot harder to sell your service.

Geoff

4. karl klein

karl klein LawnSite Member

i ment to ask when to start talking to local businesses for next year

5. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

If you see a lot that is ice covered tommorrow, start talking then. Like I said easier to sell when the lot is a mess.

Anytime is a good time to start talking.

Geoff

6. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

We are always looking for new customers. Our summer business of Lawn Maintenance and Landscaping provides some new business. We don't turn over too many accounts. We didn't lose any going into the 2000-2001 winter. We added a few smaller commercial and called it good.

7. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Yesterday.
    Today.
    Tomorrow.

Just signed up three malls for next season.
    Incumbents don't know they're out, yet.

If a customer wants to talk about landscaping in July, do you??

8. npalomba

npalomba LawnSite Member

Simply stated all the replys are correct; talk to local neighbors (I started by give them specials since I didn't have to go far to get them) then I moved my radius out either from word of mouth (which has been great) but also doing little things. Posting in the local Town Halls a little notice; and so on...

I got a late start this year and didn't have my own plow I was using a truck from my friends company; I am starting right now for next year; I already have most of the people on my street signed up and they are talking to there friends; If a customer gives me a referal that turns into a new contract (seasonal) I will give them either a free plowing or salting (whatever is the first thing needed).

I would say that if you are going after commerical customers you had better have them signed up by the end of August and you should have a good route of driveways by then also.

I just purchased my own truck and am picking out a plow so I'll be ready to take on more business next year.

9. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

It is a never ending process.
    On the phone with one of the competitions malls yesterday trying to line them up for next year.
    I think all of us watch and see who is doing a good job or not.
    The key for us is trying to get them on board before Aug or Sept earlier if possible.