new customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mid Rivers, Mar 14, 2001.

1. Mid Rivers

Mid Rivers LawnSite Member

Being relatively new to the business I am wondering where to target potential customers.

Is the new customer usually;
    A. New home owner (just purchased an existing home)
    B. Owner of a new home
    C. Owned home but tired of keeping up yard.
    D. Not happy with current service.

I know all will apply at times but please pick the one that happens the most. This will help me when I distibute flyers in the future.

Thanks ;)

2. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Like you said all will apply at times but this is how my customer base is:
    New home owner- 15%
    Owner of new home- 15%
    Owned home but tired- 40%
    Not happy with current service- 30%

3. LScom Addict

LScom Addict LawnSite Member

I like the dual income households. They are both busy working to meet the economic demands of the home and don't want to waste their leisure time in the yard. These are usually those neighborhoods with the mini-vans and a garage full of bikes. Mostly IBM'ers, Lockheed Martin types.

4. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

ok here goes my break down.
    elderly-30%
    business-60%
    young home owners-10%
    it works out great for me, everyone pays on time and if its a week late they even say sorry but it doesn't even bother me. i try to get the yards with a lot of grass but nice homeowners or business owners. you can't beat it.

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I like to traget the homes with 8-12m/sf of turf areas. This way we can move right along and still make a great dollar.

You will be more likely to get several on one block this way. These people are always competeing to outdue each other, and thus will be spend that extra dollar to do so.

Good Luck this season!
    Kris

6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

most of our res. customers are dual income families who want to have family time on weekends

I like to target the home ....which in the end is the customer ...we send direct mail & flyers to the neighboorhoods we want to be in

[Edited by theleven on 03-14-2001 at 06:44 PM]

7. Mid Rivers

Thanks guys, some good information here.

8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I find that we almost always get closure on the spot when it is a woman that has lost her husband. More times than not, the husband had taken care of the yard all of the years, and the woman still wants it to be kept up nice. Some of them have had in the past another service that they weren't happy with.

We just landed an account like that today.

So for us, it's a majority of recently widowed women.
    Some dual incomers.
    And only a few of the 400,000+ brand new home owners. Still going to try and target a few more of these really ritzy areas, so we'll see how it turns out.

9. Mid Rivers

just bringing it back to the front page