New customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowerbrad, Mar 3, 2008.

1. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I got a new customer this year that is in an area that I have no other lawns. I was thinking about offer the lady a deal that for every one customer she refers me to in her neighborhood I would take off $5 from her bill. Of coarse that new lawns must be a year long deal and not just a one time thing. Have any of you guys tried this? If so how well does it work?

2. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

No way you can do that for the long haul. Are you just giving her $5.00 off for the month that you get that customer? That is just too much money to give up.

Better money could be spent on door hangers being put up on all the neighborhood doors and then offer her a small break for a SHORT time but don't make it permanent.

Just my opinion. Good Luck in the new season!
    Brian

3. IndyChad

IndyChad LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

It seems like a year log contract referral would be worth more than $5. Try a gift card to a restuarant. Make it worth her while, but do not give away the farm.

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

The $5 would be a one time thing, it wouldn't be taken off her monthly bill month after month. I thought $5 may be a little cheap if I get a few customers from her referrals, I might either make the deduction more or do a gift card to somewhere for her.

5. cz lawn care

cz lawn care LawnSite Member

i just did that today as a matter of fact......i gave her 5$ off each month(we now have a yearly contract) BUT she had to get me her neighbor on a YEARLY contract..... it worked well

6. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

it can work out well

7. GreenerSideLC

GreenerSideLC LawnSite Member

I offer all my customers a $10 credit for any referrals that sign a 1 year contract or purchase a min. of $100 service. Its a one time credit and works well for me, referrals are 80% of new business ive never had much luck with the yellow pages. I would definitely offer her something to try to make the trip worth it.

8. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

That does sound like you would be giving up a little too much just for one referral !!

9. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

If it is a one time deal no it is not but if it is a full on thing, then it can really eat into your bottom line.

I like the gift card idea. That doesn't put any term on the deal. some kind of Dunkin Doughnut or Krispy Kream card or Blimpe or something. It would be good.

If it works for the majority, maybe I am totally wrong with my ideas and I need to revise how I think about business. I don't write anything in stone. At this point I need all the help I can get but I always cringe at the idea of dropping money in the customers hands because it just makes me feel like they get the idea that "we didn't need the money we were already making from them"

10. rucker lawn

rucker lawn LawnSite Member

a gift card would be an expense, which = tax deduction
    $5 off would be a reduction of income

Just my opinion.

Either way I agree with you offering her something, gaining customers is never a bad thing.