New customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by parkay, Jan 23, 2001.

1. parkay

parkay LawnSite Member

I am looking to expand my business and would like to pick up some more customers. I am looking for some help on how to choose the area that I should distribute flyers in. What should I look for?

2. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

This has been discussed alot in the Commerical section of lawnsite, if you do a search of the forum you will find alot of useful info. But me IM hitting the nicer neighbor hoods and hoping for the best.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I know the areas that are better to be in, some are dangerous in Memphis. Anyway, on thing I found out is be careful in the new middle class areas. The $130,000 to $230,000 house range. The reason I say this, these are the people that are trying to keep up with the Jones'. Many have themselves completely strapped for cash. They live paycheck to paycheck and if something goes wrong, the lawnguy is the 1st to get screwed. You can't hurt their credit so what the heck with you. They are also the ones who will try to save a buck at your expense. Those add-on services they will do themselves because they think it is unheard of to pay you labor to do a mulch job.

Not to say there isn't good money in this area, but just be careful. Learn to spot these types right off, or you will get burned. Older more established neighborhoods are great. They have bigger trees (leaf jobs), seeding opportunities, aerating, etc. Higher end residential the owners don't want to touch the lawn. You will be the "go to guy", and they will have the money to pay for what they ask. They will ask for you to be fair.