1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New Deck for Hustler

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Steve1, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

PJ - is there a new deck coming for Hustler this fall? I keep hearing rumors and would really like for it to be true!

I absolutely loved the Super Z I demo'd but felt that the deck was a little lacking in being able to handle the taller, wetter stuff only because it wasn't what many call a full-flow deck. I really think if the deck was about a half inch deeper and had a wider discharge chute allowing the clippings from the left and center blade to bypass the right blade on out the chute, that Hustler would have hands down the finest ZTR out there.

Any news yet?
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I can not comment on what may or may not be in testing at this time.
    As new products and product improvements are available I will update here on LS.

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know what Hustler is doing, but I'm experimenting with custom new blades, a larger discharge chute, and Yes, these things have made a big difference in how the Hustler's handle longer, wetter grass.
    Rest asured, Hustler is aware of what we want in cut quality and they are researching as we speak.
    Currenting with my new blades, I was throwing the grass "6" rows, and with the opened chute, it has shortened the distance to 4 rows, but with terrific vacuuming and dispersion effect.
  4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Pete,

Could you post a pic of your "opened" discharge chute? I have been thinking of opening moine some but I'm not sure how much or where to cut. I did take out the little baffle at the back of the discharge and it helped some.

Also you mentioned one time about better results with little or no deck pitch. I found this to be true. I was having trouble wiht the grass laying down and not getting cut evenly in tall stuff. I lowered the rear of thedeck about .25" putting it level and it made a big improvment in the cut and discharge., and even the stripes are better.
  5. Doc Pete

Hi Paul,
    I'll try to get a pic in a day or two. For your info, the custom blades I've made are making a giant difference in cut, striping and keeping the deck clean.
    Interestingly, the angle I've settled on for the new sail (60 degrees) for the blades, is the same as the exmark super highlifts. Guess Exmark has already done some homework (G).
  6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey pete,

Waiting for that pic.
    I've been thinking about trying to get some blades like I used on my lesco. High lifts with a notch between the flat part of the blade and the lift fin. I think that eric(bhb) posted some pictures of them a while back. I know if I ran them in double on the old lesco it really pulled the engin down. But with a gator on top it did wonders.
    Currently I took the gators off the top and am runnig double standards, with hustler high lifts at the discharge.
    There is almost no difference in the hustler standerd blades and their high lifts. I'll have to look to other sources for the blades I want to try.
  7. Doc Pete

Hi Paul,
    The standard Huster blades are 30 degrees and the highlifts are 42 degrees. I've found a big difference running all double highlifts compared to double standards. Your mileage may differ (G).
    Anyway, I've already posted one pic, but I'll try to post the pics in order.
    FYI, these custom superlifts combined with hustler highlifts (making doubles) need all the power of the 25/54 SWB to run. Also, I've made a set for the 23/48 SWB, which handles them plus hustler highlifts very well.
    Both machines have the custom "opened up" chute, and both basically can mow any length of grass dry or even fairly wet without any clumping. In fact, I mowed 10 lawns today, and being in NJ, every knows it's been raining for the last day and a half.
    With the mods I've made, I no longer worry about clumping , even under damp, wet conditons. Very simply, I've finally found a combination of deck and blade that let's me mow when I want, and not worry about weather conditions. I'll keep you posted.

blade new.jpg
  8. Doc Pete

9. Doc Pete

OOP's. By the way, the superlifts are 60 degress, which is what some of the other makers ultralifts are. Also, with these blades, my decks get a little dirty underneath, but now will not clog up as they did in the past, with or without doubles.
  10. theservicingdealer

theservicingdealer LawnSite Member

Where are you cutting the deck. Front or rear. Cant tell from your pictures or explanation. Do you use one custom double and one standard lift??How long is the piece are you adding to the blade?? Its wet up here in Vermont.

I have tried lesco blades with high lifts with the notch on the hustler. DONT BOTHER. The notch on the lift changes things and cuts bad.Even worst as doubles.