new deck for walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bingham Brothers, May 12, 2008.

1. Bingham Brothers

Bingham Brothers LawnSite Member

I bought 2 25hp 2002 mcghs walkers for this year. I have some properties that have native grass that we mow once a month- from 1 to 3 acres. They are a little bumpy, but not bad. In the past i rented a friends small tractor and used a brushhog- I was wondering if I should get a 56" side dsicharge deck for the walker- would it handle the bumps- I think it would be as fast as the brushhog(48") but worry that it can handle the abuse. Any thoughts.

2. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

I think walkers 52" deck would probably handle it a little better. Its a deeper deck design and much more heavy duty and it is also a belt drive instead of the gearboxes

3. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

The Walkers are not bushog mowers, if you know the terrain the Walker will do fine. I would get the SD deck with a gearbox. Their is less driveline slippage with a gear driven decks compared to belt driven decks the Walker gearbox decks are the best option IMO, and just do not bog down like a belt driven deck, but with the added torque comes the possiblity of serious damage to the gearbox's if you were to hit something really hard. On the plus theirs no frickin belts to mess with sweat.

4. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

if they're 25hp units they would have to be MT and not MC models unless they have been repowered. In 02' the MC had an18hp?

5. Bingham Brothers

Bingham Brothers LawnSite Member

My bad- they are mt's liquid cooled. How large of a deck can they handle? Also, one of them acts like the starter is going- I'm not comfortable replacing it but I have a friend who is an auto mechanic- should I have him do it- the dealer said they might have to pull the engine and they are so busy they can't promise it will be done in one day- my friend could do it over the weekend.

thanks

6. Blueribbonlawns

Blueribbonlawns LawnSite Senior Member

Next year Walker will have a new flail deck that should work

7. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

You should have no problem with any decks up to the 62". That unit is a rare bird in my area as my distributor does not offer that unit dealers. From what I understand Walker is the only manufacturer using that engine and my Kohler rep has never even seen one yet because of our Walker dist. not carrying that model.