New Deck

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by cward76, Feb 10, 2006.

1. cward76

cward76 LawnSite Member

PJ, the info states that the new decks are configurable. What is the process to configure the deck? How long does it take? Any tools needed? Will the process be harder as the deck gets older? Any pic's? Don't remember any post about this. Thanks CWARD

2. cward76

cward76 LawnSite Member

Any information???????????

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Didn't see this post for some reason, sorry.
    It is configurable in the sense that it can be adjusted for different cutting conditions in different parts of the country / world, in different times of the season, from wet conditions to dry conditions.
    It can have a mulch kit easily installed, in minutes.
    Blow out baffles for different conditions around the country.
    Blades spaced deeper in the deck with the addition of spacers, also gets the blades below the front edge of the deck for those hard weed type grasses.
    The air control baffles are adjustable.

Go here and check it all out, it is easy to see and explained very good.
    http://www.hustlerturfequipment.com/pdf/XR-7.pdf

Pj

4. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I just bought the new 66" XR-7 and there is absolutely no where in the owners manual that it describes the adjustments that can be made to the configuration of this deck. I personally like to have all the adjustments of a new piece of equipment described to me in the operators manual, would you please address this for your customers.

Thanks Reid

5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

By "minutes" how many to add/remove the mulch kit? The Exmark kits I use can be done in 15 min or so if you practice. Still too long to consider doing it more than once a week or so.

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I will let the people know about this that need to hear it.

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

About 5 minutes, maybe less if your fast.....lol...lol....

Pj

8. SVTF150

SVTF150 LawnSite Member

Puppypaws Did you ever find any info on adjusting baffles on the new XR-7 deck? I have been from one end of the manual to the other several times and only have found how to level the deck. On the front of my manual it has the numbers in the lower left corner "375527 11/05" I am hopeing to find ways to keep some of the dust down when its dry and be able to cut in damp conditions.

9. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

PJ was going to address this problem with people inside the Hustler company but I have not heard or seen anything at this time.

10. SVTF150

SVTF150 LawnSite Member

On my first cut of my yard I had a variety of different heights of grass being it was my first cut of season. I had to wait almost 3 weeks for the XR-7 23HP 60" to get to dealer. I had a 60" finish mower on my tractor I had used for over 13 years. I knew that I could get into all the places without any problems. I still manged to hit a rock and put a chip about 3/8" on the corner edge. Saturday I decided to sharpen blade and While it was up I took a look at the adjustable baffles. There are 2 adjustment holes and it was up above the tips of the blades. I dropped the baffles to the lower holes and gave it a try. It has been very dry here we have had no rain in several weeks. My first cut was on Monday and was surprised that without rain how much the grass has grown over the week. I think in this lower position "below the blade tips" it has more vacuum on the deck because of the dust blowing out the chute everywhere. It did seem to cut up some of the small leaves that where just blown around and not cut on my first cutting. I sent PJ an e-mail about how to setup the baffles and he replied with the following message.

I do not have any set up information other than what is listed in your owners manual. The design of the XR-7 deck gets the blades below the front edge of the deck, and in some leafy conditions you will get exactly what is happening to you now.
    We offer a blowout baffle kit for this exact reason. Here is the information.
    XR-7 Air Control Kit 60" Deck part # 106765 MSRP $99
    Hope this helps.

Pj

I checked my manual several times only to find how to set the blade height. Nothing about any adjustable baffles. Hope someone could give us info on the adjustable baffles. Do not fell like I need to spend another $99.

I also checked the Hustler site for the XR-7 deck. There is a pop-up for the Air Control baffles. In the pop-up it says, "Air Control Baffles keep dirt and debris under the deck in dry, dusty conditions - not on the operator. Perfect for mulching or collecting." If the $99 kit is called "Air Control Kit" what does it do or add to the deck?

All I can say is with the baffles below the blade it is very dusty. Guess I will be changing them back to cut down on dust.