NEW DEERE 7 IRON 2 Side Discharge Deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tonyr, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Was mentioned in a thread recently Deere has or is bringing out a new side discharge 7 iron deck, please can info about this deck and availabilty be posted?

Keen to know what is different about it...

what the changes are meant to improve...

And when will they be on the market?

2. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think they are going to be showing it till spring from what I have heard from a local dealer. I am kind of wanting to see the changes to that have been made.

3. Tonyr

I'm not sure, on the deere website under 777 and 797 it says they come standard with the 7 Iron 11 decks already....

But doesn't say if the 997 diesel can have one....

geeeze I wish we had a regular J.D rep on this site!

they treat ya like a mushroom! yet my dealer just come back from the usa at a deere 'thing' and he knows nothing of this new deck, so buggered if I know, and deere hasn't got details of the deck online...

I just wanna know lol.....they want our money but don't exactly rush into telling us about new stuff! grrrrrrrrrr lol.

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Maybe thats a good thing. Probably still in testing and will not be out till spring 2006. I'll try to find out from my dealer.

5. Tonyr

Thanks mate!

Be nice to know...my dealer doesn't know.....

Might be that mulch on demand thing you mentioned on the other thread?

The confusing part is apparently the gas powered mowers come with the 7 iron 11 decks now.....I'm lost lol.

I look forward to what your dealer says!

6. DLCS

Hey i just went to Deere's website and it shows the 7 iron 2 as being the standard deck for the 997 now. Now I'm curious as to what the 7 iron 2 actually is, something I'd be checking into.

7. DLCS

Check this out about the 7 Iron 2. I found this at Green Media Online. Hopefully your new 997 will be a 2006 model but I doubt it.

John Deere 7-Iron II Deck

In 2006 John Deere sets an even higher standard in deck durability and cut quality with the introduction of the 7-Iron II Deck. Offering an increased blade tip speed, spindle pocket reinforcements and double captured anti-scalp wheels, the 7-Iron II ensures a well-manicured cut every time. The 7-Iron II Deck's higher blade tip speed (more than 18,000 feet per minute on all models) allows operators to mow at higher ground speeds without sacrificing cut quality. Additional enhancements include a redesigned front baffle to better manage airflow and a raised discharge chute to evenly disperse clippings. The 7-Iron II Deck will be available on all 2006 commercial mowing models, excluding the F687 Front Z-Trak mower. All John Deere commercial mowing equipment is backed by a two-year bumper-to-bumper warranty.

8. Tonyr

Thanks!!

I'm going to cut n paste that and email to my sales guy, he can do some checking to see if we hillbillies have this deck, or can get it soon.

do you know what they mean about 'a redesigned front baffle to better manage airflow and a raised discharge chute to evenly disperse clippings.'

Is the current 7 iron having issues with front blowout?

or do you think it is more an adjustable thing like the toro turbo force?

9. DLCS

the only time I have trouble with the front baffel is when i'm mulching leaves in the fall, I get some blowout, not bad though. For normal mowing I've never had any trouble with the front baffel.

Just a guess but maybe the raised discharge chute is less restrictive, either way thats the first thing to come off my mowers. LOL

I like the idea of a higher blade tip speed. Event though the 7 Iron cuts nice, higher tip speed never hurts.:)

According to Deere this new deck is already on the 997, maybe you can get it with your new machine?

10. DLCS