New Deere Mini Excavator

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by GWhunter, Nov 7, 2008.

1. GWhunter

GWhunter LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys great site. I'm looking for a deere 35d mini ex,for some work around my property and a small excavating biz. I already have a small deere tlb and will likely use it as well. My goal is to end up with a profitable side biz and build a good reputaion for quality work a fair prices. My question to you guys is my local dealer is willing to demo the 35d for a week at my place. I'm going with a cab and I'm not sure weather the 35d fits my needs the 27d looks really close in size. I'm pretty sure I'd like to be setup similar to Minimax's equipment. Although I'll need to test the waters on the mowers. So during the demo what should I look for? What size bucket should I ask for?

Matt T.:usflag:

2. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

If your set on Deere just ask for whatever you need for the job your taking it out on. If you arent set on Deere go demo some other brands and see what you think, demo some conventional house machines, and some zts house machines...

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Go for the 35D, my Dad owns a Hitachi ZX27 and it seems small for what we do with it and I always bug him about getting rid of it in 100 hours for a bigger machine.
    The 35D is bigger all around with more power and bigger engine, but the cab and house are the same, it's a better choice over the 27D.

4. bobcatexc

bobcatexc LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

I rent a 35D quit a bit, it's the perfect size for what I do, not to big, but not to small. Very quick and smooth hydraulics. If I was to buy a new machine it would be the 35D with hydraulic thumb and my personal favorite 3' smooth mouth bucket.

5. GWhunter

GWhunter LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the quick replys. I know what i need for the work around my house but for later when I'm starting to work with it is the 35d the right one? I was looking at the 50d but it's a little too heavy and I want to stay small and selective in the work I do. I did a few jobs this summer and a mini would have been a big help. I really want the versitility the mini's offer. What about finance option? Since the economy is shaking and leasing seems a good option too me. The payments will be less and there's also a ballon payment plan that would keep payments low and allow my to see how the business side goes. If I find I can't be successful with it and make enough to pay the machine off I can always have the lease to fall back on? Does this sound like it makes sense?

Matt T.:usflag:

6. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Its hard to decide on a machine until you find a niche in the market, like minimax, or get some work from some where, my advice is get some work lined up and try the 35d and decide if it is enough machine for what you want to do, dont just buy a machine because it seems like it would be the right machine and then find out you made a bad choice for size 3 months in to owning it..

7. SellingIron

SellingIron LawnSite Senior Member
    from FTE

JD(Hitachi) makes a nice Mini X. They are pretty smooth.. Here is a spec chart that match things up for you. Hitachi does build them for JD.. Hope it helps..

Attached Files:

8. bobcat_ron

And yet when I bought new lights for our ZX27, it was packaged in Deere bags and boxes? [​IMG]

9. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

I really like the 35D deere mini-x.I have had great luck with them and I think they are the best mowing mini-x out there.I would think they would let you demo one for a week but you mite have to keep the hours down to something like less than 40 hours.I would ask for 2 or 3 buckets in diff. sizes.

minimax

10. bobcat_ron

The only complaint you will hear is the cab door is terrible to get in and out through, it's only 24" wide and leg room is at a premium, the other names out there are better for cab space, the Komatsu PC35 is a real close contender.