New design, how about a discussion?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Nottheyardagain, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

West coast code still permits it. We call for proper clearance, side to side to test, plus 10" on the vertical with a gravel sump and unions. The new DCVAs with removabable check assemblies may change the specs, but, as a ex- tester, I like all the room I can get.

2. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

Has anyone read the 10th edition of the USC manual yet? From what I heard before it was published, lawn irrigation systems were going to be re-classified as high hazard and DCVAs no longer permitted but I don't have the 10th edition yet.

3. Nottheyardagain

Nottheyardagain LawnSite Member

Guys, I seriously apologize for my initial sarcasm. The sarcasm does seem a bit thick around here, so I thought it would fit in.

Thanks to all for the real suggestions. If anyone noticed, the plans are over a year old so obviously I'm in a big hurry to do this.

Mike, as they say, free advice is worth what you pay for it. Remember, I was starting a discussion:) Seriously, if you ever need dental advice let me know.

And, the beers are on me if anyone is ever in Winterset visiting the bridges or the Duke.

Discuss all you like, I'm zipping my lip!!*trucewhiteflag*

Thanks guys

4. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

I didn't think USC ever recognised DCVA's acceptable for irrigation.

5. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

The purveyor here does not allow DCVA below grade. Must be 12" above grade (they grandfathered in existing). If you have room it really doesn't matter. I would rather look at the top of a VB then a blanket any day.

6. irritation

Who cares? We're talking backflow prevention now.:laugh:

7. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

Isn't it RP only?

8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Not up here, as far as I know. I'll check with Russ, who's certified, but I'm sure he would have told me about any change.

9. irritation

PVB's are acceptable if they're 12" above the highest outlet.

10. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Hey don't forget that Rain Bird also offers design service for contractors. I think they claimed 48 hour turn around time. If I recall it was around $55-65 bucks. I had them do a design for my house and it was not to impressive.

http://www.rainbird.com/texasdesign/index.htm