1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New design safety switch?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by naturescape, Jun 30, 2004.

1. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

ExM, are there any plans in the works to offer a more comfortable safety switch on the walk behinds? I'd like to see the type that was on the Gravely's, etc. When you put your hand on the handlebar, the switch would be inset into the bar. Very comfortable, and would decrease the gripping distance. (I have small hands.) This would also make it possible to use the cushioned grips -- right now one hardly can because the safety levers are in the way.

I'd happily upgrade my ExM TT with a new kit if one was offered.
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

We are always looking at comfort. I'm not aware of anything new in this area at this time. I will bounce this off they product development guys again and see what bounces back.

3. naturescape

So -- any other lco's interested in the kind of switch I'm talking about?? If so, please post your interest here, maybe ExM will start offering one soon.
  4. naturescape

Come on guys -- I'm the only one that would like to see recessed switches? If so, I guess I'll be building my own this winter.
  5. danmc

danmc LawnSite Member

I've often wondered why the grips are cushioned since they are pretty much useless (the cushions). I get a pretty big dent in my hand where I press against the safety bar and after a couple of hours of mowing it starts to hurt a lot. I use a 52" Turf Tracer HP. There are some places big enough for me to cut in 6th gear but I have small hands and I am only using the tips of my fingers to squeeze the handles. I think if the safeties ran up the inside of the handles instead of the outside it would be slightly more comfortable. my exmark is an awesome machine but this whole safety handle discomfort is enough to not make me want to purchase another one if changes aren't made to it....
  6. naturescape

Thanks for agreein danmc, any other guys interested?
  7. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a good idea.

I've always thought a clip hooked to your belt (like boats use) would be nice. But probable to easy to bi-pass.
  8. deerslayer

deerslayer LawnSite Member

I agree. The cushioned grips on my Metro do not help any due to the safety switch location. The first time I used my mower, I got blisters on the inside of my hand where the safety switches are rubbing. There has to be a better way.
  9. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I've bent the OPC controls on my Exmark many times, costing me a lot of downtime. This is a poor design at best. If you need to remove your hand in an emergency situation from one of the OPC controls, whatever obsticle is closest to that particular control will catch it and bend it to oblivion.

Exmark, don't fall prey to that which has distroyed many a company- Complaciency. Listen to your customers!!!!
  10. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

The OPC controls on my Exmark are terribly designed. I've bent them many times.