New diesel/CAT

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by musselman, Mar 23, 2008.

1. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

I know it is no longer made but I got a great deal on a Hustler Cat Diesel from my dealer. Its easter so I havent called them with the problem yet and thought someone here my give me an answer. I get this machine home and it is way slower than my gas powered Hustler. Ill bet if we were mowing a football field my gas powered mower would get across the field while the new one was on the 60 maybe 70 yardline. Is there a break-in period (it has 16 hours on it) or an adjustment? I was told it should mow at 15 and the gas powered unit run 13-14 mowing. Any help on this would be nice, Im 3 hours from my dealer and really dont want to take this unit back.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

With the updates over the last year or so we did "slow down" the Cat Diesel Super Z, it is not a 15mph unit anymore.
    Your dealer can explain this to you, have you talked to them yet?

3. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

I actually talked to the dealers rep. and he explained it to me. My dealer did not tell me this and Im a bit worried because I bought the machine for the speed. The Rep said that the transport speed was slower but the actual mowing speed should be close, this is something I havent tried out yet, but I hope he is correct, but unless the mowing speed on the diesel and the transport speed are the same Im in trouble.... Thinking maybe I should see if the dealer will take it back and get a gas unit?

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You need to mow with it, I dont think you will find a more productive mower.