New Diesel Chopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eric ELM, Jun 15, 2000.

1. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I got a 2001 XWD 2600 26 HP diesel 60&quot; Chopper Monday. What an awsome machine. I sure got a chance to check out the cutting ability of it this wet week. The grass is still growing like crazy with all this rain we are getting. I've alway liked the Yanmar in the JD, but just hated the steering wheel, so I figured this was the perfect combination for me. With the price of gas going sky high and the diesel prices staying the same as they were before the gas hike, I figured this was the way to go. They figure the average life of this engine hooked up to the Donaldson air filters should be 12,000 hours, so this may be my last new machine for a long time. :)<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>The Grass is always Greener on the other side of my competitors fence

2. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

How much did you pay for your new chopper. I am looking for a new rider, and my first choice would be a dixie chopper. However, since I am still a fairly small business, it is hard for me to pay so much for one piece of equipment. But if I can be convinced it will pay for itself in productivity, I might consider one.

3. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

Eric, congrats on the new Chopper diesel. Here's a couple tips from my experience. Watch out for low limbs on the chute side. Those turbinators on top of the radiator cover can be knocked off very quickly. Also the radiator is mounted to the right of the rear engine guard. Be careful when backing. I have a small dent in mine already. Happy mowing.<p>----------<br>Larry<br>

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Wow! I knew you were going to do something crazy like that! Will it still cut at 10mph? I may think about trading one of mine in if it ever starts getting really wet down here, the bahai is really tough on the gas burners. <p>Good luck and happy mowing.......bring your toothbrush with you to get the bug stains off!<p>Homer

5. grasscapeinc

grasscapeinc LawnSite Member

How much are those things, I think we'll get one.

6. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Eric, why did you get a 60&quot; instead of a 72&quot;?<p>We've been running all 60's (Toro 62&quot;) and really contemplated going with 2 72&quot; next year.<p>I know you have the big properties, but are you concerned about scalping? Or did you want to match decks/blades/stripes with existing machines?

7. Eric ELM

Grasscapeinc and Scott: It depends on your dealer. Some dealers have had a hard time making guys realize the value of a diesel and have been selling them for $10,500 and up. As I mentioned, they figure the Yanmar on a DC will last an average of 12,000 hours and the new VTC (Velvet Touch Control) hydros should last that long too. The hydro's are so smooth now, they took the resistant springs off the hydros. I know some companys have small shocks on the hydros so you don't jerk the levers, the 2001 model doesn't have anything on them. Let me know when you get one. BTW, I'm burning a gallon an hour in tall, thick, wet grass and it's spreading the clippings for approximately 22 feet with double blades. I'll let you know how it does on dry normal grass if we ever get that condition, but my JD with the same engine and deck size burns about 3 quarts an hour in dry grass.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>The Grass is always Greener on the other side of my competitors fence

8. Eric ELM

Lazer, I wanted to keep them all the same size. From what I've heard, the 72&quot; Choppers don't have a scalping problem any more than a 60&quot;, but this way they are all the same size, same blades, same belts except for the new one. I think a lawn looks better when all the stripes are the same width. The 72&quot; wasn't much more.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>The Grass is always Greener on the other side of my competitors fence