1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New diesel ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Weedburner, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Weedburner

Weedburner LawnSite Member

Looking at diesel ZTR's Anyone have experience with a John Deere 997, Exmark Lazer Z or a Kubota ZD331? The only three brands I have a close enough dealer for service and support. A hunting club I do a lot of work for asked me to help pick out a new mower.
  2. Stinchcomb Lawn

Stinchcomb Lawn LawnSite Member

I just bought a new 997. I wouldn't trade it for anything!! I got the 60 in deck, this thing will flat haul ass!! I think you will never go wrong with the JD !!
  3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

The Kubota 331 is a new model, so not many guys are going to be running that yet.

I've run a Kubota ZD28 since 2004, just traded it for the 331, with 1200 hours on it.

It had the transmission redone last year, but it was under warranty, and once the service was done, Kubota re-upped the warranty for another 2 years.

Other than that, it was pretty much flawless. I will say that the radiator used to plug with grass fairly easily, but the new 331 has a redesigned screen for that problem.

IMO, I couldn't get the 997 to spread the grass out as nicely when it was wet, the deck was too shallow. I WILL say that this was in late '05, so they may have redesigned their decks since then.

The new 331 / 60" or 72" deck is 6.5" deep, which will allow much more grass flow.
  4. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

i considered going diesel with my last mower but fuel and initial purchase costs are so much more than gas and i would need more different cans to fill, but mostly, i dont want to mess with the fuel cans. if you get gas on you you smell a bit but it washes off, you get diesel on you or spill it, it stains, smells for a while, make a mess. you guys running the diesel experience this stuff or does it not bother you??
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Personally, I run enough commercial properties, that every day I'm either mowing a gas station, or within 1/2 block of a station, so I don't have to mess around with the cans.
  6. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

you can't go wrong with any of those 3 mowers. the exmark has the kubota diesel. there all proven machines. if it comes down to money I think exmark is cheapest.