New Dodge Ram...

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by SlimJim Z71, Apr 22, 2001.

1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

Just saw this picture over on PickupTruck.com

[​IMG]

I see a little Mercedes influence in there. Those wheels look a lot like the wheels that come on some of the Benz SLK models. Think maybe the tranny's will hold up a little better? I've always liked Dodge trucks, but I'm a little leary due to all the complaints. Not that I'm going to run out and buy one tomorrow, but what do you guys think? Will these be better or worse?

-Tim

2. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

I see IFS under there Tim - a Benz attribute since Chryco/Jeep are solid-axle folk?

3. SlimJim Z71

Man you've got good eyes... it took me a few minutes, but I think you're right. Looks like the Dodge boys aren't going to be able to criticize GM for their IFS anymore.

-Tim

4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Dodge is following the pack-IFS on light duty line, solid axle on a separate HD line for 2003.

"Think maybe the tranny's will hold up a little better? I've always liked Dodge trucks, but I'm a little leary due to all the complaints"

Y'know, its always the "friend of a friend told me" syndrome with Dodge trannys, Ive never actualy met anyone with what could be considered a premature failure. I know there was one person on this board who claimed they put something like 8 trannys in a 96 within 100k but I would tend to believe that, after the first one, the other failures were due to a problem with the rebuild and/or installation.

5. SlimJim Z71

Actually, not that I don't agree with you, I know several people personally that have had repeated problems with their transmissions. I definately know what you mean about the "friend of a friend" syndrome.

-Tim

6. DaveO

DaveO LawnSite Member

Tim,

I had the same mindset myself. I did NOT buy a diesel Ram because of ALL the prob's I heard about the tranny's. Finally after doing some serious research, and "talking" with guys like Bill and John D. who ACTUALLY owned and WORKED their trucks, I decided it was more heresay than anything.

I bought an '01 diesel ram. Awesome truck, you have to own one to understand. And with some "minor" tweaks, you'd be amazed of it's power. Ask Greg "dockboy" about his "stroke" when tuned up. My ram has over 30K on it, and towed quite a bit, including Daytona and back. I have no complaints about the transmission. Seems to shift better than both the Fords and Gm's I tested.

I do have a friend with an '00 diesel ram who had a trans problem. He snapped the output shaft in 1/2. Am I worried? Hardly, he was doing a little "brakestand", and has over 900ft/lbs of torque(dyno'd). I'm surprised nothing else broke.

All the new trucks are decent nowadays IMO(execpt Dino's)LOL.

Dave

7. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

IFS Belongs in Cars only! I don't want a 4WD, EL Camino, I want a truck!

8. SlimJim Z71

I didn't start this thread to be a brand war... BUT COME ON!!! What is wrong with IFS?!?! Mine has held up great, and so has the 19 other GM IFS equipped trucks that my friends and co-workers drive. Not one IFS related problem in any of them.

So again I ask... WHAT IS WRONG WITH IFS?

-Tim

9. oldmankent

oldmankent LawnSite Member

IFS just doesn't have any balls compared to a solid piece. And they have more things that can go wrong with them. sometimes nothing does go wrong though.

10. SlimJim Z71

Actually, if you think about it, there's less that is likely go wrong. With an IFS system, there is a LOT less unsprung weight on the front end. Meaning an easier ride, less stress on the axles themselves, and less stress on the differential. The only things the really have any stress put on them is the torsion bars, the control arms, and the wheels & tires. With a solid axle system, you have everything below the springs as unsprung weight. Axles, axle housing, differential, wheels, tires, etc. That's a lot more abuse to the front drive-train.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, they both have their drawbacks, but IFS can't really be that bad if more manufacturers are switching to it, and a lot are already using it.

-Tim