New Duramax for Me!!!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mjealey, Jan 27, 2009.

1. mjealey

mjealey LawnSite Senior Member

I finally bit the bullet and bought a new truck. I had a 97 3/4 ton Extended Cab short bed chevy. Had the old 350 and 3.73 gears. It was hard to get rid of, was my favorite truck of all time. Bought it used in 2002 with 48,000 miles on it. Since then, I have put 125,000 miles on it so it had 173,000 on it. In the 7 years I had it, only had to replace the breaks, alternator and battery. I did do all maitenance and took really good care of it.

We traded my wife's little 2000 Celica GT-s and my truck for 2004 Chevy 2500hd. 2004 Chevy is crew cab short bed. LT trim package with every option Chevy had to offer in that year. The truck is prefect through out and only has 39,000 miles on it. I was very open and I test drove about a dozen different trucks. Ford, Dodge, and Chevy's. Just my opinion, but overall comfort and truck I liked the Duramax a lot better than the Cummins or Power Stroke. Both good motors and trucks, but the Chevy was definetely the right choice for me.

True story, I was test driving a 2006 Power Stroke with the salesman. He asked me what all I was looking at, and I said I have narrowed it down to a Ford and Chevy. He didn't skip a beat, and said that if it was up to him, he would go with the Chevy!!!! I couldn't believe it, I was laughing. He was telling me about how many power strokes he has sold and they come back in for warranty work in no time.

Best part of the truck was the mileage. Went to Greenville, TN saturday night and averaged 21.3 MPG on the way there and backset on cruise at 65. Since saturday I have put 283 miles on it with the rest driving backroads and some stop and go traffic and I am averaging 18.4 mpg. I love this truck!!!!!!!!

2. davis45

davis45 LawnSite Senior Member

Whats all done to it? No way your gettin 21mpg all stock.

3. mjealey

mjealey LawnSite Senior Member

I thought the same thing, but I have taken it to two different dealers and they say it is all stock. The only thing that it has is a K&N filter on it. I am not even a big fan of them either. I have had a lot of trucks and am not one to exagerate on the mileage. It also has 265 tires instead of 245. They look at it and say there are no chips, stock exhaust, stock intake, and turbo. They might have ran a programmer on it, but it doesn't feel or sound any different than the other Duramaxes that I drove. I don't know we will see. My neighbor has an 03 and his is for sure bone stock and he baby's his and swears that he pulls the same mileage on the highway too. I don't know.

4. sa1lng

sa1lng LawnSite Member

My 07 Duramax can get 21 MPG on the highway if I soft pedal it and keep it under 70. Around town I average 16 - 17

5. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Good for you:waving:

6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Ha! 16 or 17 around town, thats funny.

7. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I hope it serves you well. I test drove so many 03's 04's and 05's and hated all of them. Thats the reason i never gave the Dmax a chance. Then The LBZ came out. wew! That sold me on them, Bought an 07. I just wish the truck was better built. O well, good luck with it!

8. sa1lng

sa1lng LawnSite Member

Why would I or the other poster lie about the fuel economy? Geesh.

In my previous professional life I had fleets of Fords and Toyota's (600+ vehicles) so I am not a novice on vehicle fleets. This is the first Chevy I personally have owned and I am relatively impressed.

It is what it is.

Become a bit more opened minded or informed so that you don't look so ignorant.

9. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

well since no one else has said it yet..WHERE ARE THE PICTURES?

Ya know, my parents have all Ford products as do my inlaws. I just HATE driving a Ford. I hate the interior. I hate the way they handle. I don't know what it is but I am so much more comfortable in my Chevys.

10. Moto52

Moto52 LawnSite Member

Are you hand calculating the mileage or just going by the computer read out??? computer read out is not accurate at all my truck say's I'm getting 20.9mpg but I'm not getting anywhere near that..