new duramax

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by captdevo, Apr 29, 2002.

1. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i just got a new 2002 GMC SIERRA 2500 CREW CAB SLT 4X4 short bed, with duramax diesel and 5 speed automatic allison transmission.

summit white with grey leather...loaded

i got $20.5k for my 96' suburban and another $2k off the $44k sticker.

this truck is sweet.

i demoed a different one for a month and put 1500 hard miles on it before i brought it back because they wouldn't barter enough on price (they offered me $17k for my 96' suburban and wouldn't budge on the $44k truck, what a joke!)

i towed my 20' enclosed trailer the whole time and averaged 16-21 mpg on the highway and 14-18 in the city.

i ended up going to another dealer in macomb, il. and got one hell of a deal on this one.

so far 600 miles and getting 15mpg in town.

i'm taking it to springfield, mo. next week with the trailer and will let you know how it does. (hopefully i'll have a good head wind to work against)

these trucks have balls....they are the best driving, riding and towing i've demoed.

i can nail it from a dead stop and smoke em, if you need to pass on the highway, the turbo spools up and jumps to life.

i'll keep you informed.

2. captdevo

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I installed a Transflow kit in mine ,that allows the use of big diesel nozzels at the fuel stops.

4. captdevo

bob,

tell me more, i'm not familiar with that.

thanks, dave

5. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Damn nice truck you got there. My neighbor works at a GMC dealership and, he just rants and rave about the new Duramax and the Allison trany. So I went to talk to commercial sale for a Duramax 1ton with a dump. The comm. sales lady took me for a spin, WOW, this thing is awesome!!! I'm a true Dodge man myself but, this thing walked all over the Cummins I test drove. The sticker price was 36k. They only offered me 15kfor my 00' Dodge and wanted 9kfor a down at 720.00 a month. When I do buy a new rig it will be a GMC w/Duramax, unless Dodge comes out with something better.

Was wondering why you opt. for the short bed?

6. captdevo

thanks, yes i love it!

i prefer the ride of the short bed and turning radius, parking and look.

i never haul much in the bed, it seems i always have a trailer attached.

7. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

Mykster- I take it you have not heard about the new Cummings, it is supposed to walk on the Duramax! they almost doubled every spec on the engine, there was a post a few weeks back on the the new dodge check it out very impressive, the new duramax is awsome though, is was leaning that way but ended up getting my 01' 2500 V10 for 29,000 15 months ago, and i love it they wanted to much for the Duramax, my V10 has all the power i could hope for just lacks oin mileage very much so! but take a look at the new Cummings i think you will be plesantly surprised
    AK Lawn

8. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

one thing that i have heard is that the alumiume heads will worp .Is that a true statement? other than that it sound very quite .

9. bob

from DE

The fuel filler neck on the Duramax is too small to accomadate the larger fuel nozzles at truck stops. Fords and Dodges have no problems. I got mine from this company- http://www.transferflow.com/ . Now I can get diesel fuel anywhere.

10. bob

from DE

Dave, I'll get you a photo of before and after. Bob