1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

New E-Mark Metro 36" with sulky giving a lousy cut!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Five Diamond Lawns, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Five Diamond Lawns

Five Diamond Lawns LawnSite Member

Got a new 36"Emark Metro a month a go. I love it, fast and most of all a great cut. I started out with Mo-Blades on it and I couldn't ask for better.
    Last week my 2 wheeled sulky came in. It's like an "E" ticket ride at Disneyland:) Makes each lawn a new experience. A lot of fun.

Here's the problem:

I started noticing the cut I was in love with was going away. It seems with the sulky I no longer got the big flat lawns, instead it looks more like a rider cut.

When I call the dealer he said a sulky will not change the cut.:confused: :confused:

What have you experienced?????
  2. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

Don't see how the sulky could change the cut but I supppose it could if:

1) You are operating the machine faster than you would walk it....and the extra speed caused the mower to bog and leave uncut areas (or extra speed caused mower to bounce and leave uncut grass)

2) Going up a hill the front end popped up and grass was left uncut (adding weights to the front will help up hill performance).

3) The added wheels, if not in line with the mower wheels ,can leave added tracks in the yard that may detract from the look of the stripes.

There may be other reasons but these are the ones I've experienced...

3. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I just have one question....what the hell is an E-mark?
  4. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

how sharp are your blades? have you checked
  5. Five Diamond Lawns

Five Diamond Lawns LawnSite Member

Blades are in great shape!!!!
  6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Are you saying that when you use the sulky, it makes the grass lay over? If you mow back and forth and do not overlap too much, this should result in a "striping" effect which seems to be a desireable thing. Many (myself included) pride ourself on excellent striping. Correct me if I am guessing incorrectly.
  7. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

Try adding weight to the front of the mower. When you stand on a sulky it pulls the nose up and you dont get the cut you love, especially on the 36 its so small it has no weight to it.
  8. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

You have an Exmark, not an E-Mark... geez
  9. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

the only thing i can think of is that the speed with the sulky is causing it to skip. whenever you run a walkbehind with a sulky, you must run it full blast, you would be surprised how much power is transfered from cutting to pulling you (especially if you are a heavy guy 200lbs+)
  10. CaptainslawnCare

CaptainslawnCare LawnSite Member
    from Mass

Might you have whatÂ’s called a "ProSlide"? Sulky not on wheels...
    These types change the look of stripes, and if not installed correctly, will almost always lift the front end. the other thing people forget is the tire pressure on the exmark...this will also change the quality of cut.