new echo being stupid

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by birddseedd, May 4, 2013.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

last echo I got worked great. one pull on choke and it popes. one pull without choke and it was ready to go.

this new one. does not start easy at all for a new trimmer. have to give full throttle with choke. then when I do get it going I have to stand there holding the throttle till the trimmer gets going and stops missing. it also seems to be burning gas like crazy.

its like this every single time I get out of the truck.

shop says spa changed laws and the new 225s are just like that. I think they are giving me a load.

your opinion?
  2. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Spark plug gap.
  3. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

My Echo dealer says about 1 in 5 Echo trimmers need the carb it left the factory out of adjustment.
    Good luck.
  4. birddseedd

plug is burnt white and covered on oil
  5. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

White plug is a lean carb. They probably ship them lean from the factory to meet epa specs. Having to choke it to start is a clue.
  6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

dont buy echo -its junk
  7. Frankee

Frankee LawnSite Member

flash the choke a few times while holding it full throttle in a few seconds it will be running correctly, if not the carb needs readjustment. The EPA rules have all 2 cycle equipment running as lean as possible and most are a little cold blooded. flashing the choke as you hold it full throttle will get it to got full throttle quickly. It usually takes about 5 choke flashes.

start the unit, go full throttle, hit the choke lever immediately for a split second, then off choke right away, wait 2 seconds still holding full throttle, and then do it again. repeat those steps until the units is stable at full throttle.
  8. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

Either you need to remove the plugs and adjust the carb, or take it to a shop and have it done. White plug is LEAN. Won't last long as is.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. birddseedd

running lean makes sense. how do I adjust it? I assume there's an adjustment acre like all other carbs?
  10. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

It is new yeah? Take it to the dealer and have it serviced.
    Posted via Mobile Device