New Echo PB650 running bad

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by djsmokin, Mar 28, 2003.

1. djsmokin

djsmokin LawnSite Member

I have an Echo PB650 with about 10 hours of time on it. Last couple of days it takes spells of running bad. Runs great sometimes then runs like it only has half power. Sometimes it surges and then it might run great. Does this when warm or cool, never know when it will do it.

Airfilter is clean, muffler looks clean on the screen, plug looks great, I have taken off the gas cap on the tank and it still does the samething...so fuel vent is not problem.

I am running 87 octane name brand fuel.

Have not taken it to the dealer yet because it might just run great when I do. Any ideas for me?

Also, is there a high speed fuel air mixture screw on that carb? I can't find one. Thanks. Dj

2. I MOW ALONE

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

you might want to run 89 octane and see what happens. in my manual it says to run at least 89 or higher never know. give it a shot.

3. djsmokin

djsmokin LawnSite Member

You are right. I am going to give that a try. Is that what you run?

4. kevin55rc

kevin55rc LawnSite Member

Hi there, dont forget the fuel filter, split it apart and check the mesh of the screen. Also echo has changed the metal properties of piston. try to determine if you had a partail seizure on the ex side. and never ever run 87 octane, especially from mr cut-price station{s}. Echo knows of some running problems with the early 650s and will admit to them if cornered.

5. I MOW ALONE

yes i run 89. let us know if it helps.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Had the same exact problem with almost a brand new BP650...bad head gasket was the cause.

7. djsmokin

djsmokin LawnSite Member

Started running 93 octane Amoco fuel in it and it really likes that stuff. Still sucks down alot of fuel, but it is running like it should now. Thanks for all your help guys. If you are ever in Fort Walton Beach...drop me a message for a cold one....Dj

8. kevin55rc

kevin55rc LawnSite Member

you are welcome, hope you have a productive season, we have started out great at our store up here in traverse city mi, whew, the commercial business just grows and grows every year. Take care

Kevin

9. I MOW ALONE

YOUR WELCOME GLAD IT WORKED OUT FOR YOU.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I have two of these units and run 87 gas for 2 years without any problem. Our units run about 1000 hours per year. I would put 89 in the units and take them back for warranty. Be sure you got all water out of system and oil mix is correct before taking them in.